SN Plus Specification

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long has the SN plus specification for GDI engines been out? And it looks like Valvoline is the only conventional oil that meets this spec.

If it's PP, what you can buy now as SN is already SN+ no need to wait for the label to change. It's been SN+ for awhile as they say what you find on the shelves is already SN+.

I also noticed QS has updated their PDS sheets for the QSSB and QSUD saying that they are SN+ approved.

If you scan the oil isle at Walmart you'll see some added language on many labels..."Reformulated for Turbo Pdotection" on Quaker State and Pennzoil bottles, or "GDI Turbo Protection" on Edge and Magnatec. These are SN Plus ready oils sold with a wink and a nod.

Texican, how's your 2.4L liking that MS5K?

Originally Posted By: wemay
... or "GDI Turbo Protection" on Edge and Magnatec. These are SN Plus ready oils sold with a wink and a nod.

I looked at Castrol Magnatec yesterday and it had the SN Plus rating on the back of the jug. It's also dexos1 Gen 2 rated.

Nice, they're beginning to role out the SN Plus labelled containers. Thanks ZeeOSix.

None at my local WM's yet , I bought M1 10W 30 for my summer fill (2.4L GDI Sonata) .

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
That M1 already meets SN+

XOM sent me an email claiming that some M1 grades have met SN+ since 2010, can't remember the grades for which this was claimed.

I have yet to see an updated donut on any oil sold in WalMart or local AZ, O'Reilly's , etc. Most containers have production dates of Feb/March so I'm assuming it's a couple months away from hitting the shelves. Official May 1st date apparently means appearing on the shelves 60 days later even if there's heavy turnover of older stock.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
That M1 already meets SN+

XOM sent me an email claiming that some M1 grades have met SN+ since 2010, can't remember the grades for which this was claimed.

I’m a bit skeptical when I hear lines like that. M1 is great oil but was the industry even thinking about SN+ back in 2010? Besides, their calcium levels were higher then.

If you scan the oil isle at Walmart you'll see some added language on many labels..."Reformulated for Turbo Pdotection" on Quaker State and Pennzoil bottles, or "GDI Turbo Protection" on Edge and Magnatec. These are SN Plus ready oils sold with a wink and a nod.

I like the MS5k, I had an Optima with a 2.4 before the Sorento and it mostly got MS5K and QSAD a few times.

Originally Posted By: Texican

I like the MS5k, I had an Optima with a 2.4 before the Sorento and it mostly got MS5K and QSAD a few times.

Thanks. BJs always has it on sale. I was contemplating its use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back