Smoked tri tip recipe old posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to find the recipe for smoked tri tip that was posted here probably a couple of years ago. I tried searching but was not successful.

As I recall it was marinated in bloody Mary mix, then put into the smoker. I just can't remember the exact marinade or the cooking temp and time.

Wanting to make it for Christmas dinner, but want to do it right.

Is anyone able to find it, or have their own recipe for smoked tri tip??

All I do is sear it in a hot cast iron skillet and put it in the oven for 10 minutes.
Lotsa butter. Costco has tri tip with a rub, ready to go.
Awesome sauce.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
All I do is sear it in a hot cast iron skillet and put it in the oven for 10 minutes.
Lotsa butter. Costco has tri tip with a rub, ready to go.
Awesome sauce.

Didn't know Costco has it already in the marinade. I've already bought mine but will look out for it next time.

For my Tri Tip, I simply coat in salt and freshly cracked pepper. Smoke at 225F until it reaches around 120F temp internally. Then pull the meat and get either your smoker/grill very hot (grill temps) or get a cast iron pan ready to go. Sear to finish to your level of doneness you desire (I pull around 135F and let rest for 15mins before cutting into it).

Perfection!

Originally Posted by tom slick
I've tried smoking Tri-Tip but it always turn out dry. I've had best results cooking it Santa Maria style, which is also the original.

A dry meat is generally the result of overcooking.
Get a good meat thermometer that you can leave in the meat while it cooks.
Pull it off the grill at about 130-135F.
Rest 10-15 minutes.
Slice and enjoy!

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by tom slick
I've tried smoking Tri-Tip but it always turn out dry. I've had best results cooking it Santa Maria style, which is also the original.

A dry meat is generally the result of overcooking.
Get a good meat thermometer that you can leave in the meat while it cooks.
Pull it off the grill at about 130-135F.
Rest 10-15 minutes.
Slice and enjoy!

In my experience low and slow is not the way to cook tri tip. It is a lean cut to begin with so it is easy to make dry. A fairly hot oak wood fire is the way to go.

Costco seasoned tri tip, Sous Vide for 2-6 hours, and finish on whatever grill you have. Sous Vide gets the temperature perfect every time. If you want to smoke it you can just let it cool down a bit and smoke it for as long as you like. I find 30 minutes is plenty of smoke flavor for my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back