Smoke another one, Tasca

I thought I might replace the under hood insulator on my '18 mustang, as water coming through the hood vents for the last 5 years have made it kind of ugly. Didn't mind spending the money for the item, but another factor has deterred me. Do you suppose they realize how ridiculous this is? And note, the expedited option is over $700.

Screenshot_20221029-154543.jpg

No local Ford dealers in your area?
Yep, but pre-covid (everybody's excuse for screwed up prices) it was usually smart to shop elsewhere first, as dealerships are often called stealerships for a reason. Clearly Tasca wants us all good to go back to the dealerships.

Prepare to get a lot comments here saying you should just throw that thing in the garbage. That and engine covers. Come to think of it, I got reamed here complaining about shipping rates in this thread, https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/rip-off-junkyard-shipping-prices.359678/#post-6233917 Thing probably comes in a box about the same size as the box a hood comes in, and ground shipping rates are based mostly on volume so not all that surprising.
I would rip it out and throw it away, but as I've seen in the past, it protects the paint from engine heat.

I thought I might replace the under hood insulator on my '18 mustang, as water coming through the hood vents for the last 5 years have made it kind of ugly. Didn't mind spending the money for the item, but another factor has deterred me. Do you suppose they realize how ridiculous this is? And note, the expedited option is over $700.

View attachment 123684
Did you try a different online dealer to see if the rates are different? I am pretty sure that they aren't inflating those shipping prices for their own gain. That is FedEx/UPS doing that

Don

Can your local Ford dealership have it shipped to them from another Ford dealership that has it in stock?

Prepare to get a lot comments here saying you should just throw that thing in the garbage. That and engine covers. Come to think of it, I got reamed here complaining about shipping rates in this thread, https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/rip-off-junkyard-shipping-prices.359678/#post-6233917 Thing probably comes in a box about the same size as the box a hood comes in, and ground shipping rates are based mostly on volume so not all that surprising.
I always thought shipping costs went by weight and not size? Maybe I'm wrong though.

You're wrong. Large boxes that don't weigh much get an adjustment charge. Makes sense, takes up space that other heavier boxes could occupy.
That shipping price they're charging doesn't make any logistical sense. That means a large poster board would cost more to ship than a transmission. I've seen fwd transaxles that are smaller than a milk crate but weigh several hundred pounds. I wonder what criteria they use to determine what to charge for size vs weight?

well if its hood sized and doesnt roll up that would be a pretty big box. Probably an obscene oversize charge too.

View attachment 123684
Almost can’t believe truck line shipping wouldn’t be less than that, that shipping cost is ridiculous.

View attachment 123684
I ordered a bumper from Honda pre covid and the dealer refused to ship it at all. They said to pick it up or they will send it back. I woke up early and made the 3hr round trip drive.

You could go used check out car-part.com. Look for a hood locally for your car and call the yard to see about getting the insulator.
car-part.com is a salvage yard search engine. Example I needed another hubcap for my Prius. Dealer was $85 I found two about ten miles from me for $25 each.

^^This. Dealership parts departments will usually do whatever it takes to sell parts. I do this all the time, and they always meet or beat the online price.
We don't, but we aren't hungry anymore. For the last two years it's more like about to pass out at the Golden Corral.

Shipping is a killer though. Most of our shipping is though a group of dealers that basically bought a bunch of trucks and ships around the southeast on set routes. The customers we deliver to are already set up in their system and on a specific route.

We're not Tasca (they probably get a better rate), but FedEx and UPS are expensive. The sales department wanted me to ship a step package to a customer in state, but at a rural residential address, and even ground was $320 or so.

Back