SMOG Test - OBDII Monitors Not Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
The evap system monitor can be the trickiest one to set on the Toyotas. I believe that the tank needs to be between 1/4 and 3/4 full for it to start its cycle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by e55amgbenz007
The evap system monitor can be the trickiest one to set on the Toyotas. I believe that the tank needs to be between 1/4 and 3/4 full for it to start its cycle.

And I just filled 'er up... Ha!

Originally Posted by PandaBear
I remember the rule of smog is you can have 1 of the 8 monitors in not ready state.

New York is like this currently. Replaced a battery the day before I went in for an inspection and failed, forgetting that all of the monitors would not be ready. We can retest within 14 days at no charge, so I just drove the normal commute for a week and passed on the 2nd try.

The process (Dodge) for exercising the Catalyst monitor was insane. Start with a cold engine, accelerate to 50mph on the highway, hold for several minutes then decelerate without touching the brake pedal to 30mph, hold for several minutes and then repeat 10 times!

Originally Posted by eljefino
EVAP takes a while to figure out, but catalyst should run the next time you hit the highway.

https://justsmogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/READINESS_MONITOR_DRIVE_PATTERNS_T-EG02-003.pdf

From the above PDF for OPs Truck
smirk.gif

Drive Pattern Procedure
Connect the OBDII Scantool to DLC3 to check monitor status and preconditions.
Release the pressure in the fuel tank by removing and then reinstalling the fuel tank
cap.
Start the engine and begin driving as directed.
NOTE:
Do not turn the ignition off until the drive pattern is complete.
Drive on smooth roads to reduce excessive fuel sloshing.
2a. Start the engine and as soon as safely possible begin driving at approximately 45
mph (72km/h) for 5 minutes. (See illustration on previous page.)
2b. Drive the vehicle at approximately 25 mph (40 km/h) for 15 minutes and include a
minimum of two stops for approximately 30 seconds. (See illustration on previous
page.)
The monitor should complete within approximately 20 minutes. If it does not, ensure
preconditions are met and repeat the drive pattern process beginning with the Cold Soak
Procedure.

Originally Posted by e55amgbenz007

For sure. On any newer vehicle really..

The systems needs to verify the tank will hold pressure and vacuum I believe and like you say, the tank can't be full or empty and it takes a specific sequence of cycles and repeatability for a code to set or clear.

Years ago, after replacing a heated O2 sensor on my 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L, it took like 60 miles of varied driving for that system to be "ready" again.

Had the same issue last year when fighting a bad ECU (and its first bad replacement) on my 01 Dalota. The state emissions guy advised at least 6 starts with some driving on each. Just the starts or just the mileage was not enough. Passed and then threw Evap minor and major 5 months later.

NI need to dig under the battery to find either a bad hose or bad pump. FSM puts the pump on the other side of the engine compartment. Had to go to YouTube to find it! It goes to the dump once a month, so low priority.

Brief update:
Drove the Tundra from Los Gatos, thru the City, across the GG and up to Petaluma (wine country).
Not quite 100 miles each way.
Dang thing runs flawlessly. 197K on the odo.
Burned about 1/2 tank of Costco rag.

Retested the emissions readiness; Evap Sys still Incomplete.
I will call the SMOG tech tomorrow and get his thoughts.

An adventure!

Last edited:
Just went through this with my 2004 Highlander...

I was told by a local tech that the CAT was borderline, so the computer would not complete the test... .so I ran a couple of bottles of Berrymans B-12 in the Gas... within two tanks, and alot of driving, (Las Vegas and back) the emissions monitor was set. The only monitor that is allowed to be not ready in CA is Evap. All others will fail the test...
::
I still have an OEM Cat brand new in the box, that I paid $600 for when two bottles of B-12 did the trick for $8.00.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Brief update:
Drove the Tundra from Los Gatos, thru the City, across the GG and up to Petaluma (wine country).
Not quite 100 miles each way.
Dang thing runs flawlessly. 197K on the odo.
Burned about 1/2 tank of Costco rag.

Retested the emissions readiness; Evap Sys still Incomplete.
I will call the SMOG tech tomorrow and get his thoughts.

An adventure!

I & the above poster stated that EVAP doesn't have to be ready. A lot of times.....When a monitor stalls like this.....A code for that system could be imminent.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

I & the above poster stated that EVAP doesn't have to be ready. A lot of times.....When a monitor stalls like this.....A code for that system could be imminent.

Thank you.
The emissions read out listed 2 incomplete systems.
I will call the tech tomorrow and perhaps complete the smog test.
At the time he told me to get them set; he did not say evap incomplete was acceptable.

I will post my results in case it may be of benefit to someone else.
Again, thanks to all.

I appreciate it when people post results of their questions.
Our trusty Tundra passed SMOG today.
I probably drove 300 miles.

The EVAP monitor was not set; Cilne and Mystic were correct because it passed anyway.
The inspector told me there was a 99% probability it would pass.

Upon reading the results, the Inspection Report states:
Fuel Evaporative System (EVAP) Result PASS.

Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back