Smith and Wesson Model 642

With carpel tunnel and arthritis, I can state that the only solution to your concern is a test flight at the range. Bring the ammo, grab some +p for comparison, and bring some gloves. As long as you can hold on to it for 5 rounds when you run into Sasquatch, you should be good. If Sasquatch shows up with his friends, like Abominable, Mothman, JerseyDevil, Chupacabra, SkunkApe, or Bigfoot, you'll have to reload. You'll need to figure out whether you can continue or not with multiple reloads. Zombies and vampires here can be relentless.

A bud of mine wants to sell me this gun. I am concerned because it only weighs 12 ounces. What kind of recoil
can I expect with a 115 grain non +P?
I have a 642-2 that I've had for about 15 years or so. I typically keep 135 gr +p Gold Dots or 125 gr +p Golden Sabers in it. Looks like crap, the clear coat is gone but its a "work gun", not a safe queen. The recoil is more stout than you would think for a 38 snubby but not horrible. I would think the lighter, standard pressure loads wouldn't be bad at all. I recently put some Hogue grips on mine which helped alot since it gave me more to hold on to (pinky) and the way it's designed along the top, it seems to move your grip slightly higher and give more area for the recoil to be spread out. This made it much nicer to shoot. As others have stated, see if you can test drive it first

It doesn’t weigh 12 ounces. I think they are more like 15-16 ounces.

If you have average hand strength of an adult, the recoil wont be an issue. This is not a target gun that you blast away with all day long. It’s a 5 shot self defense carry gun.

If you don’t carry a gun, then this gun serves no purpose. If you carry daily, then this is a decent option.

My take is diff: I have owned the S&W, now own the similar Ruger LCP and with +P's it has a very stout recoil.
Shoot 5 in it and you will . FWIW, I've owned dozen's of handguns of all sizes, reload, shoot regularly, so I do have a fair familiarity with handguns. Some of us are obviously more recoil sensitive, so if you can, shoot it before you buy.

It’s an air weight j frame 38 stubby. It’s not horrible but neither are you likely to find it fun for range time. It’s an excellent revolver for carry and enough practice to remain proficient with it.

Small light revolvers and pistols are going to give more felt recoil. That's physics, and the nature of the beast. There is no way around it. Isaac Newton proved it. You can screw with different grips, etc. But no matter what, putting stout rounds through these "Airweight" guns is not going to be a pleasant experience...... For long.

There has to be some type of compromise between weight, size, and the ability to control the weapon when loaded with effective self defense ammunition. I tend to gravitate to a bit larger and heavier gun for concealed carry. And one with decent, well defined sights.

Many of these small, light pocket revolvers have sights that are all but useless. Combined with an extremely short sight radius, makes getting consistent hits difficult. Factor in high powered ammunition, and for many it's impossible.

I carried this 2-1/2" S&W 686 for some time, before I switched to the smaller Glocks. (Model 30, 19, and 26). It has good, well defined, adjustable sights. And it's large enough with the round butt to be easily controlled with hot .357 loads. The .357 Magnum is a very effective stopper.

It took me a while to, "get with the times", and make the move to auto pistols for concealed carry. I resisted plastic for a long time. But there is no getting around the high capacity, fast reloads, and they print less on the person. But I never felt at any kind of a disadvantage with the 686.

weF3mEz.jpg

i have a s&w 642 that came to me used with its finish 1/3 freckled, but in fine mechanical shape. the great attribute of a revolver is easy adaptation to your taste. there are lots of shoulder/waist/ankle-carry holster choices (i don’t pants-pocket carry). i don’t enjoy recoil at all so i swapped out oem grips for fuller rubber grips that cover the backstrap and have a pinky rest. i pretty much shoot low recoil 38sp ammo, wadcutters especially, and never +p; of course without feeding problems. nothing that i might encounter needs +p and with a softer load i’m pretty much assured to hit whatever would need shooting.

so jerseyguy123, as long as this 642 is good mechanically, i would get it for no more than $300 and then set it up to suit you for both practice and carry. if you don’t yet have one, you really cannot go wrong with a 38sp snubbie as a reliable, all purpose ccw.

Attachments

• CF5E425B-2A01-41C5-B705-E66DC8F49370.jpeg
    CF5E425B-2A01-41C5-B705-E66DC8F49370.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
If you want a snub-nosed revolver but are concerned with recoil look at S&W 640. J frame .357 all steel, handles .38 Special +p like a dream and also gives you the option of stepping up to .357, which is also not too bad to shoot.

I have owned my 642 Centennial for many years and carried it exclusively in an ankle holster while riding my m/c. As others have said, +P rounds aren’t the most fun to shoot in this lightweight revolver but they are what I practiced with and loaded when carrying it.

To me - yes perceived - the difference between +P .38 and even medium .357Mag rounds is HUGE. .357Mag is rip snorting (never mind full boat rounds). +P, sure much better that ordinary .38Special, but still the recoil out of an a very light snub nose is pretty tame.

You want some fun?

Do a little competition with friends. Texas Star.

iu

First with a .38 snubby.

Then a .38/357 6" barrel revolver

Then last a .38/357 lever rifle of your choice.

That snubby absolutely humbles me at 25 yards every time and the rifle seems like fish in a barrel dream.

Back