smell of gas in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the advent of direct fuel injection in newer engines, it seems that fuel getting into the oil is becoming an issue as evidenced by the smell of fuel on the dipstick and even to the point of affecting the oil level. This seems to be the case especially where car usage is confined to numerous short trips in town. This is true in my case where the car is used only for trips to local merchants (
Questions:
1) Is there anything I can do between these 3K mile intervals to rid the oil of the fuel or alleviate its effect on the engine such as doing a weekly 50-mile drive or "blowing it out" weekly with high revs on a stretch of turnpike. It's been suggested to run the engine with the oil at operating temp (150F) for 15 minutes to rid the oil of the fuel.
2) Considering the tightened oil change interval, do I really have anything to be concerned about?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Had a ton of fuel in my oil in my 2017 Sierra. However it was due to a faulty seal on the high pressure fuel pump. Luckily I caught it quickly. Gas in oil and an oil level WAY above normal. Service manager asked me how I caught it. Told him I check my oil routinely. He just stared at me. Guess that life in the 21st century....someone who checks their own oil is a dinosaur.

If you were somewhere warmer, it would be worth considering stepping up a viscosity grade. Fuel in oil is a known wear increasing agent.

"However, I have not noticed any increase in the dipstick oil level as some have. ".....enough said. If your oil is not going up I doubt you have any meaningful gas in it. All my cars, if I pull the dipstick will smell of oil and these are non-GDI engines.

Originally Posted by Cujet
If you were somewhere warmer, it would be worth considering stepping up a viscosity grade. Fuel in oil is a known wear increasing agent.

I've bumped oil weight up from 0W20 to 0W30. I like keeping the "0" part of it simply for ease of the cold flow.

Do any of you guys have your oil turn black along with the fuel smell & level increase? In the old carbed days, the prematurely black oil was always a sign of flooding, or even mechanical fuel pump diaphragm failure.

6800 miles on factory oil in the 2.7 eco boost I drive for work. Checked it today. It was dark almost black. Lol. Keep driving till it tells me to change.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Do any of you guys have your oil turn black along with the fuel smell & level increase? In the old carbed days, the prematurely black oil was always a sign of flooding, or even mechanical fuel pump diaphragm failure.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
6800 miles on factory oil in the 2.7 eco boost I drive for work. Checked it today. It was dark almost black. Lol. Keep driving till it tells me to change.

Black does not mean bad. It means that your oil is doing its job.

Black doesn't mean bad, and you can't smell the level of fuel in the oil. Do a UOA with actual testing for fuel instead of interpreted numbers and "confirm" what is safe for you and the health of the oil.

We need a sticky on this.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Does your Subaru have an oil life monitor ? If so, when does it tell you to change the oil (mileage) ? So many people want to call their usage "severe service" while the oil monitors calculate otherwise.

OP - send an oil sample to Polaris (Oil Analyzers) to see the extent of your fuel dilution. You can also see your wear numbers, which will really tell you whether you have anything to worry about.

I have several motors with around 5-10% fuel dilution - some "make oil" and some don't (so just because no change on dipstick doesn't mean you don't have a problem). Running hard won't get rid of it all. Keep your OCIs short.

I can start to smell gas in my oil at around the 5% point.

FYI, some say 93 octane gas reduces fuel dilution. I dont have that option with mine, so I've never tried the 93 in my fuel dilution motors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by claluja

FYI, some say 93 octane gas reduces fuel dilution. I don't have that option with mine, so I've never tried the 93 in my fuel dilution motors.

What option are you missing?.... is it the extra cost per gallon that empties the wallet? Or no premium fuel where you live?

That is really cool. I am glad to be back,
Originally Posted by RetiredSux
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
6800 miles on factory oil in the 2.7 eco boost I drive for work. Checked it today. It was dark almost black. Lol. Keep driving till it tell

Black does not mean bad. It means that your oil is doing its job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
We need a sticky on this.
smirk2.gif

We need a sticky on everything.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by claluja

FYI, some say 93 octane gas reduces fuel dilution. I don't have that option with mine, so I've never tried the 93 in my fuel dilution motors.

What option are you missing?.... is it the extra cost per gallon that empties the wallet? Or no premium fuel where you live?

No 93 available where I have to fill up. My 5-10% fuel diluters mostly use rec 90 or 87.

Last edited:
I have no oil change monitor. Subaru recommended OCI is 6K miles except for severe service which is 3K miles. I'll just do that and not worry about it.

HOWEVER, I'll take claluja's advice and send off a sample. It'll be nice to see where I stand.

I have no oil change monitor. Subaru recommended OCI is 6K miles except for severe service which is 3K miles. I'll just do that and not worry about it. HOWEVER, I'll take claluja's advice and send off a sample. It'll be nice to see where I stand.

You could likely get away with 4,500 mile intervals

It's been suggested to run the engine with the oil at operating temp (150F) for 15 minutes to rid the oil of the fuel.

It seems logical in theory - - - but doesn't seem to work so well in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back