Smell of coolant after water pump leak.

I recently had a water pump start leaking on my 01 Jimmy. Some of the coolant somehow splashed into the air intake for the HVAC system. The smell of antifreeze was so bad I thought the heater core was leaking. I have replaced the water pump but can not get rid of the antifreeze smell when the air/heat fan comes on. Taking the heater core out and cleaning it on a Jimmy is a 3-4 hr. job so I would not like to incur this expense. I have tried washing it out from the outside, dumping Febreeze in the air intake and letting it run on high with the windows open for 2 months but the smell is still there. Does anyone have some advice on how to solve this problem? Thanks Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
That was going to be my question too. With that much of a smell I would think you have a leak.
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Is your coolant level remaining the same?

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Originally Posted By: kschachn
That was going to be my question too. With that much of a smell I would think you have a leak.
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Is your coolant level remaining the same?
+2

Feel around on the carpet in the front passenger foot well. Even if it feels dry, run your hand over the carpet and give your hand a sniff.

RogerBacon

I do not believe I have a leak. The level is not going down, I have pressure tested the system, and nothing is wet inside. I originally thought I had a heater core leak because this is the classic symptom. It does not appear to be so. Roger