Smart phone recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a note 5 and love it. I prefer the Samsung UI to the stock android phones, personally. Go into a store and play with a samsung and a pixel device. You will lean towards one or the other. Android has its share of app updates also and some apps are pre installed and you cant remove them without rooting the phone...which i hate because I have no need for instagram or facebook on my phone...

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I would get a S8 because I bet they have done tons of testing to make sure it's right.

So far the only complaint is the curved glass screen protector. Killed the updates, as my s4 went from a perfect phone to a garbage slug in 15 minutes.

Last edited:
2 iPhones and 2 iPads and no complaints - but while I was off the plantation - found the Moto series to be quite good - have no interest in KORUS companies.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I would get a S8 because I bet they have done tons of testing to make sure it's right.

So far the only complaint is the curved glass screen protector. Killed the updates, as my s4 went from a perfect phone to a garbage slug in 15 minutes.

Try IQ Shield Liquiskin. It's a wet-apply film. Fingers still slide well and it stays pretty clean. Films are getting better.

Any from google (android)apple , on window ? Lumia 640
Why no lg or Samsung or other ? Because if you want latest update? You ll need to buy a new phone!
I am surprised you have issue with apple ? Right now they are the top phone to have . Steve Gibson (security now) Paul thurrott(thurrot.com
Both window guy recommend apple .I would find out what my problem is with apple and find the feedback feature of apple and ask apple to fix it .maybe your apple phone is too old .with the latest update every 32 bit apple get the axe(yes its annoying but trust me its a great thing .i am a w10 smartphone user .wanted a att Lumia 650 but when apple announced last week that they were getting rid of legacy 32 byte i drooled .i m like , dam no 32 bit part in apple smartphone hardware ? On next iPhone ? I want one .i have been asking me for years to loose legacy [censored] that give us all these issue . When this is done ? You will like have less issue (if you had any)and with apple going augmented reality ? You know within a year huge amount of people on apple are gona be going at.this alone make apple smartphone the item of choice on the mobile front.yes window 10 on my smart phone and all other plateform is at the top of all the pile since march update (yes its that good)but without hardware maker making smartphone for America its very virtual (wish Samsung had an option to put window 10 .obile in their galaxy j3 2017 , yes even if they charged me it would still be worth it. Anyway if your apple is a 32 bit thing? Wait for iPhone 8 and grab it .yes it will be worth it (dam I hate myself , I am a window destop fan promoting an iPhone 8 (beurk)come on Microsoft at least ask hardware maker Samsung to put you smartphone is in their hard as an option gees . I like my Lumia 640 , but it was never intended for window 10

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Yeah the iphone is full of bloatware (learned a new word!). Turned it all off and forgot about it. Is it causing problems?

Not really, I just turned off the fingerprint and passcode filth and happy. They just always felt "restrictive" on some stuff, maybe I'm getting old LOL

I used to do some contract programming with a local company and recently they gave my wife and I each a Pixel. They were tired of hearing me complain about smart phones with "improved" versions of the Android environment. I hated the Mickey Mouse stuff they did that would mess with my programming. The Pixel fixed all that. It's a clean Android setup, finally. It's quick to start and does everything just like is should without any so called "improvements". It works like it should with the SDK, too. What a blessing that is. I was able to reprogram my radio control airplane setup and could actually decipher all the error codes and warnings without having to second guess the phone, itself. For me the Pixel is the only acceptable smart phone on the market. If it costs a few bucks more you can see where the money went and it's worth every penny.

As for Apple, you can take the iPhone and ...........

Moto 5G Plus from Amazon. Best phone I have ever owned. No bloatware is loaded. Phone is lightning quick and responsive.

Recently got an LG and been happy with it.
My son got the S8 so gave me his S7. I've only used it for Torque Pro app though.

After using the California bag phone for some years, I had been using a flip phone for years. Recently switched to a LG smartphone. Was shocked with all it does from being so used to the flip phone for years. Although I like how the flip phone sits easy in the pocket, my new LG smartphone just does much more which is nice when having to sit for appointments etc.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I think I'm going to try the Galaxy S7 "active"

I'm taking alarmguy's advice and going CRICKET. Pick the phone he has and forget about it

IMO, If you're confident in the switch to Android. Pixel or nothing.

The path to get updates from a non-Google phone is just stupid. Updates are not just OS updates, but security updates.

Originally Posted By: car51
Linctex said:

I'm taking alarmguy's advice and going CRICKET. Pick the phone he has and forget about it [/quote

Yep, I have had my wife on cricket for a couple years now. $35 per month plan and ATT coverage suits her well.

When she wants a new phone, we just get her a $100-$150 dollar android cricket phone and she is more than happy with it.

No need to pay for high dollar samsung or apple for her.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: car51
Linctex said:

I'm taking alarmguy's advice and going CRICKET. Pick the phone he has and forget about it [/quote

Yep, I have had my wife on cricket for a couple years now. $35 per month plan and ATT coverage suits her well.

When she wants a new phone, we just get her a $100-$150 dollar android cricket phone and she is more than happy with it.

No need to pay for high dollar samsung or apple for her.

Good point sir. I have the IPhone SE til next fall
frown.gif

Just my opinion based on a sample of 2 identical lower end phones vs other higher end phones.

There is a difference in performance of smartphones between the lower end and higher end. If you don't plan on using the features then it doesn't matter. We had 2 LG lower end smart phones that we bought from Verizon because they were cheap at the time. My company gave me a Samsung S5 phone a short time later - big difference in performance. We noticed that the LG lagged when switching between home screen and texting, it took forever to get on the internet and (not important to me) had a really lousy camera compared to the S5. We had payed $15/month each for them for 2 years and they were paid off. On New Years Day Verizon had a sale on the Samsung S7 for $10/month and we jumped at the offer as it is/was about the best Android phone out there. Big difference in performance in the smart phone area and camera! I am cheap in some areas of my life and phones are one of those areas; I wouldn't have bought another 2 phones had the LG been better.

I believe that Motorola, LG and Samsung higher end phones all probably work similar. The Google Pixel is supposed to be a good phone but I own a Google Nexus 7" tablet and officially they only support their products for 2 years; that S5 has been with me for about 3 years and I still get some updates to it.

I can't comment on coverage as I've been with Verizon a long time. I had issues with other carriers back then, went to Verizon and never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back