Smart Meters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy doesn't like them much...
lol.gif

http://goldsilver.com/video/smart-meters/

Last edited:
nahhh! Big freakkin deal! UK(particularly London metro) already has all sorts of CCTV on all street corners, GPS to track numerous vehicles and activities, etc.

This guy is just spreading FUD..... with pretty much filled with unsubstantiated facts and lots of exaggerations... (right! they will find out that I run servers at home, so?! I have been (and still has) run firewall, proxy server, servers to my own consulting job and my current works for 10+ yrs, and it's legal?!)

those who agree with him, even just a single bit, are deemed hopeless dittoheads and should be confined in an isolated island in the Pacific south, with no water, electricity and just bare hands to survive.

Oh wait?! Isn't there still the worries of radioactive rain/dust spreading from the Fukushima nuclear plant earlier this year?! Oh well, we are all dead anyways.

Q.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
So all the info any big company collects is only for our benefit? Yah right.......
What conspiratorial use do you think they make of it..seriously? Its not like they can tell what kind of toothbrush you have and when you brush your teeth.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Safeway/Tom Thumb, CVS, and Kroger have been tracking my purchases for years.

Okay...actually they've been tracking Adolph Oliver Bush's purchases. I didn't use my real name.

But the real problem with the Smart Meters is that they malfunctioned terribly when they first started installing them here. People with 1000 square foot homes were getting $4000 bills. Then over the long hot summer, some of them melted and/or caught fire.

I'm actually more concerned with the fool thing catching my house on fire than tracking the consumption of my water-pik.

I've watched my smartmeter since it was installed (delayed) a week ago, been monitoring the consumption bar (fake rotating disc---now it's a progressing LED dot) and the power consumption seems correct on my house.

I'll be able to tell if the smart meter is working properly when my next bill arrives in December.

Q.

I think most of the initial smart meter bugs have been worked out. So far at least mine is doing fine.

They do it not to track your usage to sell to the government, they already know what you use and if you are using indoor light to grow pot they already know.

It is to eliminate those meter reading jobs, and to avoid shutting down large area during black out. We have these SmartAC controller that would shut down your AC 15 mins at a time instead of having the whole neighborhood blackout during an outage.

The wholesale price of electricity fluctuates wildly during the day due to the peaks and troughs.

Examples (in my state only), see a general trend of around 2.0 to 7.0c/KwHr on a normal sort of day, however, in summer peaks, that can rise to $12.00 per kWhr, and overnight troughs on mild autumn days the generator may have to pay $1.00 per kWHr to keep their plant in the game ($100,000 diesel to restart a big coal unit, so paying to produce at min load can be worth it).

The retailers are fixed at around 20c/kWhr 24/7 (yep, they have their introductory rates to attract new customers). With an normal meter, they can obviously only charge a flat rate.

They won approval through our competition lapdog watchdog to introduce variable "passthrough" pricing of peaks with smart meters. Initially, they tried to stop the technology from including read-outs to allow the consumer to know what they were being charged, and modify their behaviour on the fly...once they were told that this was a prerequisite by the Govt for variable pricing, they suddenly found out that they were hard to implement, and now years away.

Shannow,

We have the same proposal for "fluctuation" residential pricing but they have a guarantee that the first year you will be paying the lower of either fixed rate vs variable rate. Response seems to be not that popular.

So now they decided that having incentive to throttle your AC is a more popular choice. Paying you $50 to install a throttle device and guarantee will only throttle 15 minutes every 30 minutes cycle.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I think most of the initial smart meter bugs have been worked out. So far at least mine is doing fine.

They do it not to track your usage to sell to the government, they already know what you use and if you are using indoor light to grow pot they already know.

It is to eliminate those meter reading jobs, and to avoid shutting down large area during black out. We have these SmartAC controller that would shut down your AC 15 mins at a time instead of having the whole neighborhood blackout during an outage.

+1 to what Pandabear said.

All these hooplahs are just unfounded/unsubstantiated urban legends spread by half-taught(often lack common sense) joes out there..and constantly repeated by dittoheads on the internet.

claims of headache-induced broadcasts, homing in to reveal your personal information (you should be focusing on internet-related privacy/information leaks during a databreach instead...more common/severe than you think...), etc.

smart meter will do all that for you?! Geesh...wondering what happen to Mr. Common Sense these past few decades?

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest

smart meter will do all that for you?! Geesh...wondering what happen to Mr. Common Sense these past few decades?

Q.

Yea..sadly lacking:

howard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back