Smart Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally saw one of these things today.

I dunno. I'd imagine my Corolla could enact some viscous carnage on one in a wreck, let alone a Super Duty!

Way too small and unsafe for my liking. I know the NHTSA gave it four stars, but in the real world, with real bodies?
15.gif

I know NHTSA and Insurance Institute crash testing is questionable in terms of real world applicability, and I wouldn't want to take my chances with a gas powered rollerskate.

The wild thing is that they cost as much as some small 4 door cars, and they get about the same gas mileage.

The only appeal of the SMART is the same reason one went from a tricked out Suburban to a tricked out Hummer a few years ago.

"Look at what I drive!"

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
The wild thing is that they cost as much as some small 4 door cars, and they get about the same gas mileage.

The only appeal of the SMART is the same reason one went from a tricked out Suburban to a tricked out Hummer a few years ago.

"Look at what I drive!"

Yeah I noticed those Smart cars are expensive and yet get no better milage than a 4dr econo car -and the Smart carries only 2 people so it must be an image car...of course I don't see any image in it. I've been seeing a lot of them on the road. The funniest was one driven by a guy about 60yrs old and it had an old fashioned "SUN" Tach mounted on the dash! Retro meets new wave green-style. The only reason I can see anybody having a need for a car like that would be city folks - you could park that Smart car on the sidewalk or between to parallel parked cars!

You guys are getting the "dumbed down" Smart car. The original had the turbocharged 3 cylinder diesel that actually did get great mileage and they were spunky as well. Now, its a 4 cylinder gas engine that isn't exactly remarkable in any respect.

Even comparing the original to cars such as the Toyota Echo Hatchback (now Yaris), it was overpriced. Most people bought it for the "look-at-me" factor.

In real world use, the american version of the Smart car is absolutely terrible. The transmission is garbage, and the fuel economy is barely any better than my car, and I have twice the room and 3 times the power.

The euro diesel smart gets pretty good mileage, but for some reason they think Americans can't handle a diesel engine...what a shame, there are so many fantastic diesels we aren't getting here.

I had the first generation of the Smart car couple of years ago.

It was a 800cc 3 cylinders, diesel engine.

Max diesel capacity: 22L

For city driving, excellent car.
For restaurant deliveries, excellent car.
For highway driving, I hated the car!

I couldn't go to 125km/h on the highway and wasn't or almost not able to pass a van on a 1 lane street.

Comfort, good. Not great! just good. Suspension, hard!

I did Montreal-Quebec (280 kms) 12$ of diesel (10.x liters of diesel). Very economic!

Once inside, you don't think you're in a Smart car at all! But its for city driving only!

A fella where I work has a Smart (diesel). He loves the thing, doesn't mind it on the highway even if it runs out of steam at 70. Likes it so much he uses it to tow his boat, and just got a motorcycle camper to pull behind it.
3449211730_55134aa216.jpg

3640067254_52cf47b91c.jpg

Alex.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMGuy
A fella where I work has a Smart (diesel). He loves the thing, doesn't mind it on the highway even if it runs out of steam at 70. Likes it so much he uses it to tow his boat, and just got a motorcycle camper to pull behind it.
3449211730_55134aa216.jpg

3640067254_52cf47b91c.jpg

Alex.

The Smart Car should be banned from the Highway.

This guy goes on the Highway with his Smart Car and has a Organcycle..I hope he has his affairs in order.

I saw a Smart Car on the Florida Turnpike last week doing around 70 MPH ..Everybody was passing it on the left and right including Tractor Trailers..It was downright scary just seeing it out there.

US spec smart cars are slightly more highway capable. That said, those things are pegged at highway speeds...though the owners don't seem to notice, as they are camping the left lane all the time where I live!!!!!!!
Just like Prius drivers...they think going 15 under the speed limit is economical. Maybe so, but do it in the slow lane!!!

My car is screaming fast compared to a smart car. Every once in a long while some [censored] in a smart car (or prius) tries to cut me off for whatever reason. Whenever they attempt this, I make sure to remind them that they are driving those cars for "economical" reasons...and not for power. Its not every day a Ford Focus blows the doors off something, but when it happens I have a nice smile on my face!
6 years ago when I got my car, the 150hp and 2700lbs made for a quick car. Now it seems everything has a ton more power...so its refreshing to know that there are still some cars out there I can pass! Time for a turbo!!!

I think it's funny it's smaller than [censored], and still gets horrible fuel economy for it's size. an 89 civic could get better mpg with more rooM

It's a great idea for urban areas like mine. Most trips are with just 1 person, with nothing larger than a laptop case for cargo, for a few miles, at speeds that rarely exceed 45 because of traffic. And culminating with a search for parallel parking on a crowded street.

I test drove a Smart and unfortunately it fails to deliver on the promise. The power is acceptable for its mission but the transmission is terrible and you can't even get a simple 5-speed. And it costs more than a Honda Fit.

I'd like to see a manufacturer make a more practical, less gimmicky car in this much needed class.

A turbo on the Smart would be nice my friend owns one and I have driven it many times. If I lived in NYC (Manhattan) I would def buy one, as you can park it literally anywhere. However, driving it on the highway for 5 hours can be a chore and anything resembling a grade makes the car slow down to like 60 mph even with the gas pedal to the FLOOR! When you have to floor a car for 250 miles, the gas mileage is horrible...as you can imagine. I do not see the Smart as anything more than a car for an urban environment where parking is at a premium. It will pay for itself in that scenario because parking, at least in NYC, can run above $300/month!

I seen one driven on the road about 2 weks ago.They look like little cracker boxes to me,would not be in one if it was in a wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back