Smart 0.8L CDI, 5600 Miles, Castrol (GC) 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my second sample with this car. First one was using Mobil 1 0W40. This sample proved better wear results but the oil thickened to a 10W40 weight. Last sample was also for a run during winter while this is a summer sample.

Results from this sample:

Smart Fortwo, 0.8L CDI, 5600 Miles on oil, 17500 Miles on car.

Tested by Blackstone

First number is last sample (Mobil 1), second number this sample (GC).

Aluminum 15/8
Chromium 9/6
Iron 296/151
Copper 6/4
Lead 2/2
Tin 0/1
Molybdenum 65/13
Nickel 2/2
Manganese 2/2
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 0/2
Boron 107/16
Silicon 14/51
Sodium 6/10
Magnesium 27/142
Calcium 2665/2177
Barium 0/0
Phosphorus 791/933
Zinc 903/1096

Fuel Viscosity_SUS @ 210F = 73.8/71.6
Flashpoint 440/405
Water 0/0
Antifreeze 0/0
Insolubles 0.5/0.5

TBN = 4.0/5.7

I see two possibilities here:

1) You have a serious intake leak that is allowing dirt into the engine.
2) The rings in this engine are defective and you're seeing abnormal ring/cylinder/piston skirt wear.

I'd take the car back to the dealer ASAP and have this fixed. Use the analysis of a newer VW TDI as a baseline for the amount of wear you should see here....

What did Blackstone say about these results???

TS

High Iron in this engine seems to be normal. Another smart owner who does UOA analysis is still showing 100ppm of it at 50K miles. I'll check the filter today as there was quite a spike in Silicon on this sample.

I agree with TS....iron is in the abnormal/excessive range. One thing I find strange is that the fuel dilution is not elavated. It could be any other number of items from camshafts to timing gears or rods. You can do a check of the pistons/rings alot like it is done on a gas engine, but you remove the glowplugs in the diesel engine case if they have glow plugs.

Either way something is seriously going on in that engine!

How many liters of oil does this engine hold?

The wear metals are trending downward, but they just seem very high to me.

TS

Craig,

Thanks for the info....

Since this engine only holds about 3 quarts of oil, the wear metal concentration can be expected to be a bit higher. I suppose this wear pattern could be normal, but it just looks very high compared to a 1.9L, VW TDI diesel.

TS

Friendly warning, Please get a professional interpretation before you destroy this engine. The advice you are getting here is inadequate and all over the map.

This site was originally designed to raise awareness but in the past few years some of the resident experts are giving FREE interpretations and thats what they are worth.

I feel like Dr.Frankenstein sometimes when I read the snippets of interpretative language I share with customers that make it to commentary here ( mostly out of context and inaccurate).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back