Smaller size shop vac recommendation....

I have a smaller size shop vac from Costco (I thought it was a good vac) that ain't cutting it.
Please post your recommendations.
I hate vacuuming cars so I need a good tool...

Thanks in advance!

I employ the sub 25$ Home Despot 'buckethead' vaccuum which fits the top of 5, or 3 gallon buckets. At 4.5 amps it is not nearly as powerful as the 12 amp full size version, but for 90% of the tasks that I use it for, it is more than good enough.

Lowe's has a version that has a 5 amp motor.

I remove the check ball as I dont intend to vacuum liquids and it is top heavy and prone to tipping over.

My biggest gripe with all shopvacs, no matter the brand, is how easily they tip over and can';t run over their own powercord without doing so, so removing this check ball and knowing I can't safely use it with liquids is my solution.

The 'buckethead' unit can benefit from a little spit and polish to perform slightly better, I found one gasket had slipped as its screw was not torqued fully so sole pressure was able to bypass the intended route. I've got many many hours on mine, since purchase 5 years ago, and lots of time being powered by a MSW inverter, known to be hard on electric motors, and also a serious amount of time used through a router speed controller at lowered speeds, when noise is a concern, like being in the workshop late at night and the full vacuum force not a requirement.

The only issue with mine in the 5 years was the cheapo on/off rocker switch, and I replaced it with a larger toggle switch that is much easier to activate.

I have a smaller size shop vac from Costco (I thought it was a good vac) that ain't cutting it.

Thanks in advance!
Too bad Sears is gone, I had very good performance from my Craftsman vacs.

Get an extension hose when you buy your shop vac...

I got an extra 8 foot hose on my 6 gallon Shop Vac, and it makes all the difference...

Thanks in advance!
If you have cordless batteries from Milwaukee or DeWalt, etc then I highly recommend one of there cordless vacuums, buying a bare tool. I have a Milwaukee M18 cordless vacuum and very handy. I have bigger AC powered ones that roll. For example I needed to go into my barn, take off upper housing for the engine in my riding mower and vacuum the mouse nests before they got hot and caused a fire. A small cordless vacuum was perfect.

I have a small and large vacuum from Shop-Vac and have had good service from them. But the company shut down last year and now has new owners.

GreatStar announced Monday it will take ownership of Shop Vac assets, re-open the Williamsport plant and rehire employees who lost their jobs when the factory let go most of its 430-plus work force in mid-September after a failed sale of the company by its private owners, the Miller family now living on the West Coast.

GreatStar is part of Hangzhou GreatStar Industrial Co. Ltd., a hand tool manufacturer in Asia, specializing in designing and manufacturing products for DIY, professional and industrial markets globally.

Gary DuBoff, group president of GreatStar Tools USA, said Shop Vac represents an important addition to the company’s global product portfolio........“We are thrilled to add another iconic American brand to GreatStar’s portfolio of brands — alongside Arrow Fastener, Pony, Jorgensen, Goldblatt and Prime-Line Products “ particularly one that gives us the opportunity to bring manufacturing and jobs back to the U.S.,” he added.

“After the acquisition, GreatStar plans to reestablish and expand Shop Vac’s industry leadership built on best-in-class innovation, features, value and manufacturing ability, utilizing a mix of both Asian and US-based manufacturing. The company will retain manufacturing in itsWilliamsport, Pa., factory, and will also prioritize restoring Shop Vac’s distribution in the U.S, including big-box retailers, major home centers and hardware stores,” the firm said in a prepared release.

Approximately 437 employees worked at Shop Vac’s world headquarters plant in the Reach Road Industrial Park when the former owners released most of them, triggering protests outside the plant. The company once employed 1,700 people globally.

I have a little Shop Vac brand 1.5HP/1.5 gallon vacuum that works OK. It isn't nearly as noisy as my Shop Vac 5 gallon model which is so loud that I wear hearing protectors when using it. I think the newer model 1.5 gallon Shop Vacs are 2.0 HP. They are corded though so that is a bit of a hassle.

As much as I would like one of the 24V cordless models, I don't already have batteries and a charger for other tools so don't see spending a couple hundred dollars. The 12V ones that plug into a cigarette lighter socket are worthless. So it seems that you either pay under $75 for one with enough power but that requires a cord, or you spend $150+ for a battery powered model. I tend not to trust the reviews for the sub-$50 cordless models.

Back