smaller filter, instead of larger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys. ive been changing the oil on my neighbors suburban lately and ive been having her get ac delco pf52 filters for it. i recently bought a 12 pack of WIX 51040s (equal to the pf47) for my car and was wondering if it'd be ok to use one of these on her truck?? and if not, why?

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
hi guys. ive been changing the oil on my neighbors suburban lately and ive been having her get ac delco pf52 filters for it. i recently bought a 12 pack of WIX 51040s (equal to the pf47) for my car and was wondering if it'd be ok to use one of these on her truck?? and if not, why?

You can use either and would be fine.

My 4.3l can use the small or large PF52 filters. I use the larger one since they are the same price for the brands I use. If the smaller one was cheaper I'd use it with out worry.

Take care, bill

In the past I cut open a bunch of PF 47's and 52's. Some of the bigger ones had more media, and some didn't. I am no friend of Wix, but my bet is that the smaller Wix is a better filter than many other brands of the larger filter. Look at how many engines survive running Frams and Purolators.

Originally Posted By: labman
Look at how many engines survive running Frams and Purolators.

lol.gif
... you're grouping FRAMs and Purolators in to the same catagory?
lol.gif
... funny stuff.
wink.gif

I think if I my application called for a smaller filter like a PF47, I would use it instead of the PF51 even though you could. Most of those filter are mounted sideways and I'd rather have a faster filling smaller filter than a slower filling bigger filter. The PF51 is not going to bump you up a 1/2 qt anyway, more like an odd 1/4 qt if that much. Plus they might use the same media area, just put less pleats for the PF51. So you gain nothing but a 1/4 qt more oil capacity, although I don't know if the media is the same.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

lol.gif
lol.gif
... funny stuff.
wink.gif

Why not, dome end bypasses, and very little media. At least Fram is American owned.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

lol.gif
lol.gif
... funny stuff.
wink.gif

Agreed - I'd run a FRAM anyday!
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back