Small pebbles in small engine from factory?

I did an initial oil change on Rainier 2200w Inverter Generator I purchased a couple years ago. Probably 15 or fewer hours since new.
When draining the oil, I heard some objects fall into the oil pan and they appear to be small pebbles or minerals. They don’t seem to be quite as dense as actual rocks. Does anyone know what these might be?
9AE97050-23D5-4DBC-9982-77B4511F594B.jpeg

Yeah that's not creepy? Never have I ever seen that before. Have you tried crushing one? It won't tell you anything but how hard the center might be.

The generator came with a bottle of 10W-30 oil that I used for initial fill, and I would have seen them go in during the pour, so the objects must have been in engine itself.
I have 2nd identical generator I got at the same time. Just drained that one with no signs of pebbles.

Maybe came off a plastic/nylon camshaft or other internal engine parts about to completely fail. This is literally reading "part numbers" in the oil.

Run it for "fun" but I wouldn't want to depend on this to generate electric power in an emergency. Remaining debris (if it was just that) can go between the timing gears and it's game over.

If you need to know tear the engine down and see where it came from and that all the debris are gone. Good luck obtaining parts. :(

Presuming they are not teeth, you never know, they look like bits of plastic that have broken off and been tumbled. Try and see if you can melt or burn a piece. Then you know it's plastic. If they are teeth, where is the rest of the head? 💀

I did an initial oil change on Rainier 2200w Inverter Generator I purchased a couple years ago. Probably 15 or fewer hours since new.
When draining the oil, I heard some objects fall into the oil pan and they appear to be small pebbles or minerals. They don’t seem to be quite as dense as actual rocks. Does anyone know what these might be?
View attachment 93889
Quite possibly harmless plastic tumbling media used on aluminum parts.

Edit: DriveHard had the same thought at the same time.

Back