small motors and a turbo = short life?

All you have to do is google HONDA 1.5 ENGINE PROBLEMS......you will find lots of information regarding fuel dilution and oil levels being 1 quart over because the fuel is unburned and gets in the crankcase. You do not find the same problems with the Honda 1.8 or Honda 2.0 engines.

Yes. Fuel dilution is part of the TGDI experience. But does it really result in premature engine failure? No evidence I’ve seen.

hmm I guess the american manufacturers could've taken notes from the Euro's well at least on the turbo lifespan.. In the late 80s to 90s I saw many turbos (american made) go bye bye.. they never reached 100k. Maybe my sampling is too small but that was something I saw a lot of with friends who had turbocharged cars (Factory)
Your sampling is small. I was heavy into turbo Dodges and while they had their problems, the rotating assemblies were solid. The used a Garrett or Mitsubishi turbo that were relatively trouble free. There problem was head gaskets and electronics (hall effect pickups, ECMs and power control modules.) Between 1984 and 1989 Chrysler made over 822,000 2.2 and 2.5 turbos. The does not account for the years from 1990 to 1993 which should easily put it over 1,000,000.

Last edited:
I am in need of a new car as I have reached 295k trouble free miles it seems like most car brands selling sedans use small 1.5L motors with a turbo there are a few that don't but that limits my options. I watch a mechanic on youtube and he claims that any gas car/truck with a small motor and a turbo will never last as long as a larger motor with no turbo as the smaller motor has to work that much harder.

Just wondering your thoughts as i have been very lucky with my 2010 toyota.
I don't care what anybody says, you add a turbo....more complexity and more likely to break down. Now you add the engine being smaller displacement AND turbo'd.....more stress on the mechanicals. Nope, won't last as long. Throw all thje modern engine oils at it you want.....won't make the motor go 295K miles.

I don't care what anybody says, you add a turbo....more complexity and more likely to break down. Now you add the engine being smaller displacement AND turbo'd.....more stress on the mechanicals. Nope, won't last as long. Throw all thje modern engine oils at it you want.....won't make the motor go 295K miles.
Unless of course, it does.

With factory OCI. Factory specified oil. Nothing fancy. Nothing special (though it gets HPL these days, most of its life was whatever I could buy on sale).

I don't think so. I mean different animal but I ran a ton of Mid 80s to early 90s Turbo Mopar to well over 200,000 miles. They required repairs. A head gasket here or there and various other items but most of the hard parts never gave me issue.

My Malibu is a 2.0 LTG turbo. Closing in at 93,000 miles and it has been really good, one broken exhaust manifold bolt is the only issue I have had. Doesn't seem common either. I see no reason I can't get 200,000 out of this thing.
x2, love the little 2.0 LTG Turbo in my Regal GS, think the key to longevity is 5K oil changes, lots of good oil out there so stay away from extended OIC's.

All you have to do is google HONDA 1.5 ENGINE PROBLEMS......you will find lots of information regarding fuel dilution and oil levels being 1 quart over because the fuel is unburned and gets in the crankcase. You do not find the same problems with the Honda 1.8 or Honda 2.0 engines.
What's the actual damage its causing, mental? Or is it what you don't know wont hurt you? I'd rather have the mindset of uninformed Jill than know it all Bill at times.

Speaking of turbo lag, and I know this is outdated. I rented a Chevy Cruise in 2012 qith an turbo and automatic. The lag was OK. Then test drove a similar Cruise in 2020 with a manual. Man the lag was SOOO bad. A manual will highlight the lag. Not a car I would purchase.

Most of these turbo engines make full boost and torque at less than 1500rpm. Turbo lag died in the 90s.
Thats magzine and marketing bull for the masses. Not all want to drive with the pedal to the floor for any response all the time. I'll take a V6 over any of the turbo'd 4 offered.

I haven't driven one without lag. Wait for it wait for it wait for it, wait for the transmission to do its thing and then yippee ki yay. I guess the drones can be happy since they won't know any better. 2GR, VQ3-3.5, GM 3.8.... even a pushrod vulcan 3.0 Taurus reponds quicker.

What it comes down to is expectation.

BTW, I daily drive commute a 1.4TGDI VW 6-speed manual, and owned/driven enough of the so-called make believe peak torque at low rpm 2-2.5t engines. All have noticeable lag.

Speaking of turbo lag, and I know this is outdated. I rented a Chevy Cruise in 2012 qith an turbo and automatic. The lag was OK. Then test drove a similar Cruise in 2020 with a manual. Man the lag was SOOO bad. A manual will highlight the lag. Not a car I would purchase.
While Chevy did try to get it right with the Cruze, the engine had a number of shortcomings, and was not tolerant of extended OCI's, crummy oil or abuse. The very thing an economy car is subject to.

Other manufacturers tended to do better.

My suggestion, use a quality synthetic oil of adequate viscosity, and stick to 5000 mile OCI's. As DI turbocharged engines tend to contaminate the oil.

The statement of lag still existing is correct, even with low RPM boost onset. There really is no way around it with an exhaust driven supercharger. Even so, turbocharged engines tend to be quite pleasant to drive, as once on boost, they don't often require high RPM for typical needs. In other words, it's much more pleasant to drive up a long interstate hill or to achieve more than adequate part-throttle acceleration.

My TDi definitely had lag. I usually would not slip the clutch more than I needed to (it was in perfect shape after 249k, only replaced due to failed flywheel), so off-idle, it was laggy. Well, that and the larger turbo I put on did not help... but boy oh boy did I smile when it spooled up and did its thing. :) Couple times it surprised me, would leave the line slow then decide to spin the tire, not a clutch dump, just the turbo hitting stride. Ah, to be young again...

Stock I don't remember if it had a lot lag or not, I don't recall it being that bad if at all. Of course, with all 100hp everyone here would decry it anyhow, on the boost or not.

It all depends on maintenance
+1
In Europe, these small motors have been able to last much longer due to stringent maintenance guidelines.

In NAmerica, most folks are too lazy do basic maintence.
Combine that with ultra thin oils being pushed up 20k miles (with manfacturers supporting this behaviour) leads to premature failure, regardless of the manufacturer.

I have a brother who's GF leased a brand new 2021 Malibu. She drives it constantly, city, long distance road trips etc. easily racking up 15-20k miles a year.
Recently she's been having issues with it due to the "sensors".
Turns out, she's never changed it's oil once in her ownership.
o_O

Last edited:
BTW, I daily drive commute a 1.4TGDI VW 6-speed manual, and owned/driven enough of the so-called make believe peak torque at low rpm 2-2.5t engines. All have noticeable lag.

Then you downshift and stop complaining about the lag.

EDIT: I would like to expand; the only times I experience turbo lag is when I'm at too low of an RPM at too high of a gear. Like cruising at 45mph in fifth gear at 2000rpm. In that case I just downshift. That's the point of a manual car. In an turbo'd automatic, the transmission is probably in the wrong gear. Solution: press down on the accelerator more. In both cases, a higher displacement engine would have been in the same predicament.

Last edited:
x2, love the little 2.0 LTG Turbo in my Regal GS, think the key to longevity is 5K oil changes, lots of good oil out there so stay away from extended OIC's.
Yep, I change the oil every 4000 miles, I have no loss or no gain of oil. GM puts them in everything. Cadillacs, SUVs and Camaros just to name a few.
The have a 1300HP one they use for drag racing. Here is a Nova they built with one.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/2-0l-turbo-1967-nova-by-chevrolet-performance/

2.0 turbo lag isn't horrible, not like my old turbo Dodges. It is probably due to the twin scroll turbo they use.

Back