small motors and a turbo = short life?

What's the actual damage its causing, mental? Or is it what you don't know wont hurt you? I'd rather have the mindset of uninformed Jill than know it all Bill at times.
Oil burning and engines prematurely wearing out. It's just more difficult to make it to the million miles like some of the non turbo Honda's have historically made it to. As I stated previously go ahead and google 1.5 Honda turbo engine problems and many owners feel the engines are not as good as the non-turbo engines. I don't read of many problems with the non turbo engines and I have owned several Honda's.

I've had good luck so far with my turbos but as always its caveat emptor with this.

1676248537069.jpeg

Define “short life.” The wife’s Volvo has 297,000 miles on its 2.4 liter turbo. Original engine, original turbo.

That long enough for you?

I’ll post when it hits 300,000.

I did 295,000 miles with zero issues.

I haven't driven one without lag. Wait for it wait for it wait for it, wait for the transmission to do its thing and then yippee ki yay. I guess the drones can be happy since they won't know any better. 2GR, VQ3-3.5, GM 3.8.... even a pushrod vulcan 3.0 Taurus reponds quicker.
No. I have had 4 supercharged 3800s and 2 n/a 3800s. I have a n/a 3800 right now. The Malibu destroys them.

We're not talking about supercharged 3800's.... we're talking about the new wave of 1.3-2.5 turbocharged engines replacing all the big 4cyl and good ol' V6's.

Someone without a clue said that they have no lag. They have plenty of lag. My v6's and even big 4's respond quicker to the go pedal. It has nothing to do with low rpm torque. Its the lag waiting for that torque. Its there. You have to be a drone not to notice it.

Someone doesn't understand that peak torque at a low RPM doesn't mean nothing, if you have to wait 2 seconds for it.

VW offered a clutched driven bypassable supercharger to their 1.4T for a little bit. Mercedes is now using an electric assist turbocharger, which in theory eliminates the lag complements of an electric motor spinning the turbo up to a useful rpm.

Fancy marketing on that GM 2.0T... but it still has lag....Go out and drive it. Twin scrolls, VNT, VGT, ball bearing center section.... all help reduce it but its still there. VW knows this but said the cost of the super/turbo engine and complexity wasn't worth it. Mercedes has the solution... ELECTRIC MOTOR. So, its a supercharger until the exhaust catches up to and exceeds that electric motor.

You can count me as a statistic.

we have a Honda 1.5T. for the first 20k miles or so, we saw rising oil levels. I started including some 5-30 or 10-30, in the oil changes, and started changing a little earlier than the OLM. It has stopped increasing, and the car continues to be a joy to drive. It is a wonderful driveline, and my son has not been gentle with it.

I also had a turbo Volvo. It’s now the neighbor’s kid’s, with over 200k on it. The owner before me didn’t treat it well, and I sorted a lot of it out. Original motor and turbo, barely consumes oil over 7500 miles, and is a blast to drive.

ecoboost 2.7 in my driveway now… and the engine so far has been the best part of the truck. It did show some oil dilution when it was new… probably about the same, 20k miles. I went up a grade and pretty much shoot for 7500 mile oci.

however, I would also agree that these will not be as forgiving with poor maintenance.

We're not talking about supercharged 3800's.... we're talking about the new wave of 1.3-2.5 turbocharged engines replacing all the big 4cyl and good ol' V6's.

Someone without a clue said that they have no lag. They have plenty of lag. My v6's and even big 4's respond quicker to the go pedal. It has nothing to do with low rpm torque. Its the lag waiting for that torque. Its there. You have to be a drone not to notice it.

Someone doesn't understand that peak torque at a low RPM doesn't mean nothing, if you have to wait 2 seconds for it.

VW offered a clutched driven bypassable supercharger to their 1.4T for a little bit. Mercedes is now using an electric assist turbocharger, which in theory eliminates the lag complements of an electric motor spinning the turbo up to a useful rpm.

Fancy marketing on that GM 2.0T... but it still has lag....Go out and drive it. Twin scrolls, VNT, VGT, ball bearing center section.... all help reduce it but its still there. VW knows this but said the cost of the super/turbo engine and complexity wasn't worth it. Mercedes has the solution... ELECTRIC MOTOR. So, its a supercharger until the exhaust catches up to and exceeds that electric motor.
I have both sitting in the driveway...I drive both fairly often. The lag is very limited on the Malibu. It does not take 2 seconds, but hey I don't know anything about that with a 440 RWHP WS6 and 400 RWHP Caprice PPV...:cautious:

Oil burning and engines prematurely wearing out. It's just more difficult to make it to the million miles like some of the non turbo Honda's have historically made it to. As I stated previously go ahead and google 1.5 Honda turbo engine problems and many owners feel the engines are not as good as the non-turbo engines. I don't read of many problems with the non turbo engines and I have owned several Honda's.

The 2.4 liter Hondas do have issues with oil consumption and VTC actuators. So they ain’t perfect, either…

The 2.4 liter Hondas do have issues with oil consumption and VTC actuators. So they ain’t perfect, either…
All engines are not perfect. A person can pick flaws with any engine. The OP wanted to if smaller engines with turbo's sometimes have shorter lives and I just made an example of the 1.5 turbo Hondas having problems. Any engine can have a flaw which could lead to a catastrophic failure.

Buy another Toyota and not worry about it?!

I have had decent luck with turbo vehicle engine and turbo Subaru lasting 14 years/240k. The but however all the extra oil lines started to leak oil and car would smoke so wife moved on and purchased yet another turbo CUV (VW 2.0T)

They use more diesel cars, i believe?
A lot are diesel but lots of gasoline engines, Citroen was using turbo gas engines in the mid 80's with few if any issues with the engines. Saab and Volvo used them in the late 70's-early 80's. BMW 2002 and Porsche 930 were also early adopters.

I had one of these for years, 0-60 in 7 sec and 140 mph top speed was good for a 1986 car.

CX Turbo.jpg

Back