small leak....add sweller concentrate/additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Kitacam's seals are drip drip dripping....maybe a couple of DROPS occasionally...by which I mean, NOT EVERY DAY (I can't say why that is)....and just a couple of drops at most that disapate and disappear in a couple of weeks.....the engine was wiped clean after the last OC...no leak from filter or plug.

Anyone tried this or something like this with any success...or less than success:

http://barsleaks.com/product/engine-oil-stop-leak-concentrate/

The car sat for a month....my neighbor started up the car once a week....NOT what I asked him to do, but what's done is done....and there was a 3" drip spot that's more permanent dirty...not the usual 1" drop.

I've been using synthetic oil for 3 years with no dripping....

Well....here's how I've dealt with this leak....
1st I brought it back to the dealer to check that it wasn't from a loose drain plug or filter since it began shortly after the last OC
After determining it wasn't either, the mechanic wiped the engine bottom clean...
The leak continued so I decided to see if I could figure out just how many drops were dripping each night...next to one night's drip I put 3 drops of fresh oil to see how they spread on the asphalt....my 3-drop drip spread much wider than that from the engine, leading to the conclusion that the engine dipped no more than 2 drops at a time...I'm guessing that would be about 2-3 ounces between OCs....

I now have put a heavy rubber floor mat (a rear square one) inside the passenger side wheel to catch/collect the drip...for now...
I read a lot of net-talk about using HM oil with seal-sweller so was thinking that just adding 10oz of seal swelling additive might just work for such a minor leak....

....hence the post here asking for input...thanks....

Last edited:
Have you identified where the leak is coming from? Are we sure its motor oil and not ATF or PS thats leaking, maybe picking up dirt and crud as it drips off something?

I can't help you with your question, though, as I have never tried any extra additive like that... Although I'm very tempted to try something for my oilpan/rear main leak.

For such a minor leak, I would just monitor the affected fluid. You could make matters worse.

Just use MaxLife Blend at next OCI. It's cheap at Walmart now with coupons.com - $10 off two jugs.

Wabbout tracing the leak with a luminescent dye and a black light? 2-3 oz between changes is a non-issue to me. I have had cars that lose a pint in short order, then the level doesn't change. Trav snuck in whilst I was editing. My head is starting to swell
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Just use MaxLife Blend at next OCI. It's cheap at Walmart now with coupons.com - $10 off two jugs.

Maxlife if well known to me but I am wondering whether adding a concentrate for few dollars would be as effective....

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver maybe? I've only heard positives about it,no negatives.

It sure works, but it's not a one-time treatment and it isn't cheap. As others have suggested, I'd start with MaxLife or Platinum HM (if you can find it). You may not need to go further.

If the OP is against HM oils, try the LiquiMoly product. The standard dose is a 300ml bottle, but I found that, after the 300ml initial dose, 100ml at each oil change works well.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
For such a minor leak, I would just monitor the affected fluid. You could make matters worse.

Enjoy the external lubrication haha. I wouldn't start putting things in it just yet. Might make matters worse. Monitor it and next oil change switch over to a HM like Penn or Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: Lubener

Enjoy the external lubrication haha. I wouldn't start putting things in it just yet. Might make matters worse. Monitor it and next oil change switch over to a HM like Penn or Valvoline.

Ha....I've 6 months 'til the next OC....so I've a lot of time to enjoy it...and wonder...
I'm not against an HM oil, it's just that I've got 6 jugs of PP sitting here already...still, what's another couple of jugs (of Maxlife), right?
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Is the PVC system OK?

Good idea...will check it out...though valve and hose are just 3 yrs / 33k miles old.

if you have leak from engine...if it is small enough just add som LM MoS2 to oil and it will plumb that leak...plus use"highmilage" typ of engine oil...due to swellers in it

Check the oil pan bolts and valve cover bolts that are accessible. I've seen this before where the gasket shrunk or whatever and the oil pan bolts were a turn loose. Tightened em up and problem went away.

Avoid that stop leak stuff.

Get rid of the synthetic oil. Switch to maxlife 5W30. Not 5W20, but 5W30. Heck even 10W30 would be fine for your location.

I recall the torque figure on the Camry I4 valve cover is 17 pounds, the nuts are on the spark plug tubes, and the oil, when it leaks there, usually runs down the back of the engine. If torque is OK, a new gasket is in order. Careful with the plug wires when pulling them to get the socket on the plug tube. Pry them from the tube with a large, flat screwdriver. A little Super lube of the inside of the boot and on the contact on the plug will keep things from sticking to the plug and breaking. The nuts on the tubes are large, and recessed a bit and only a socket will work.

Last edited:
I recall that ATP reseal works pretty well if you have a small leak. Ideally you should fix the source of the leak.

Just try some Hi mileage oil. Any brand will probably be fine. I have had great success with Maxlife 20w50 in my BMW motorcyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back