Small LCD TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Anyone get a small LCD tv lately? We think we want one... but are not sure which is best. Probably 20" or so.

Any suggestions? Preferring a mainline brand.

Thanks!

Why so small though? We just upgraded from a 42" Sony rear projection LCD to a 50" plasma (Panasonic Viera) and the 42" looked small in comparison, I can't even imagine going down to a 20" (even though for the first 20 years of my life that's the size of TV my parents had)

Because it is for a bedroom, not a living room or den...

Small and out of the way is preferable... youre right, it is small, but it wont be in the way or the center of attention in the bedroom.

Stay away from Toshiba. We bought a 22" LCD/DVD combo recently, and the backlighting at the top and bottom is overblown.

Samsung makes great screens.

I am in the market as well for a small TV. That way I can do work in the kitchen while watching a program, take it into the bathroom when taking a dump etc. I have seen some 15" TVs but the price is about the same as a 19" screen.

Ryan, your post really caught my eye. I searched WM.com and the cheapest 37" was an Olevia for $498, was this some kind of closeout? Can you really get a 37" for 350? If so my 32" 8 year old JVC POS might just be retired.

Do you need it to have a tuner, or will it be connected to something with a hdmi output (cable box, dvd, blue ray)?

If an hdmi input is enough, you can get a 23" 1080p Acer monitor with 40,000:1 contrast ratio for $179 from newegg.

If it were me, I would go widescreen and go at least 20 inches. Really, it's not much more to get a little bigger and you'll appreciate it. I tried watching a netflix movie on our 20 inch, but I'm spoiled with a 50" normally and just couldn't do it.

As for brand... it probably matters less as long as it's someone you've heard of. I'd rather go to newegg.com and read some customer reviews to find something good.

Last edited:
I have a 52" Sharp Aquos Special edition, but my parnter bought a 32" Sharp Aquos and the picture is just as good, but smaller.

I would check into this brand.
thumbsup2.gif

I think the LCD TV-s have become commodity with the usual brand and price based quality. Go look in the store and see which ones you like. Just keep in mind that the picture quality may not be the best possible in the stores as the sets are badly configured and the signal to them is usually bad.

Everybody here will have an opinion on brands. I am a big fan of Panasonic products but ours is plasma so I'm not gonna advocate the model we have :)

Once you decide which one to get, buy it on Newegg or Amazon to save a buck or two.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Small and out of the way is preferable... youre right, it is small, but it wont be in the way or the center of attention in the bedroom.

There's a joke there somewhere...

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

There's a joke there somewhere...

LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back