Small hand, big capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Every time you fire that weapon at someone, you better have a proper excuse for every squeeze of that trigger. Also keep in-mind that 10+ shots fired could mean 10+ different lawsuit lawyers knocking on your door.

Also, the number of shots fired in a conflict is most-cases 3. So think twice.... even three times, about getting rid of your conceal .357, unless your hand hurts every time you fire that itsy-bitsy revolver with those .357 loads.

I will be thinking about it. Those .357 loads don't bother me...but I suppose if I fired 50-100 at one outing, it would not be very nice.

Originally Posted By: billt460
i_hate_autofraud said:
But having spent my entire working life in the metal working and machining trades, you'll never convince me of it. Aluminum is extremely soft, and machines like butter.

Not 7075-T6511 alloy. There some others that are harder yet.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Not 7075-T6511 alloy. There some others that are harder yet.

T-7075 is definitely harder when you compare it to other Aluminum. But it is nothing when compared to steel. Try to Rockwell a piece. It will leave a crater.

If it is this difficult for you to find a pistol that you are comfortable with holding and shooting, you might want to avoid polymer guns all together. With a steel or Aluminum framed weapon, especially the more common one's, you will have a multitude of different grips available on the aftermarket. All in most every size, shape, style, thickness, color, and type of material imaginable. Wood, rubber, metallic, or Polymer. In most every texture you could imagine. Checkered, smooth, stippled, or anything and everything in between. They're relatively inexpensive, look good, and you will have something that fits without compromise. Many of the larger gun shows have the vendors available on site. And have several of their grips mounted on various frames, so you can grab, feel, point, and squeeze away before you buy.

Yeah, some of the new Polymer pistols, Glock included, now have interchangeable back straps. But they do nothing for the overall feel of the pistol. Just increase or decrease the gripping diameter. While it's better than nothing, they don't offer anywhere near the versatility that custom grips do. Plus, they help personalize your gun into something unique.

Originally Posted By: Al
You don't need more bullets..you need more training. More bullets in the hands of someone that is not highly trained is a bad idea. (no disrespect).

I do not agree. A revolver/low round count is not ideal when in the center of a riot, when attacked by 3+ thugs, when a carjacking happens or when a typical home invasion happens. All these have one thing in common, multiple attackers.

When considering the average violent confrontation hit rate of trained experts is rather poor, often as poor as 1 hit per 6 shots, 6 rounds gets you, a civilian, at best, a single round in 1 bad guy. The other three are free to execute you!

QUOTE: NYPD, the average hit rate during gunfights was just 18 percent. When suspects did not return fire, police officers hit their targets 30 percent of the time.

Training is wonderful, but reliable capacity is essential. The right tool for the job is always a factor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

When considering the average violent confrontation hit rate of trained experts is rather poor, often as poor as 1 hit per 6 shots, 6 rounds gets you, a civilian, at best, a single round in 1 bad guy. The other three are free to execute you!

Interpretation: Cops. Who certainly are not trained experts..But even if they were: Their job is to engage the bad guy. As such they must take difficult shots (which yuou shouldn't) and fire way more shots (which you shouldn't) than necessary. I am suprised you would site a statistic that in no way is relevant to you.

Every time you fire that weapon at someone, you better have a proper excuse for every squeeze of that trigger. Also keep in-mind that 10+ shots fired could mean 10+ different lawsuit lawyers knocking on your door.

Also, the number of shots fired in a conflict is most-cases 3. So think twice.... even three times, about getting rid of your conceal .357, unless your hand hurts every time you fire that itsy-bitsy revolver with those .357 loads.

Refreshing to see someone here that gets it.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I do not agree. A revolver/low round count is not ideal when in the center of a riot, when attacked by 3+ thugs, when a carjacking happens or when a typical home invasion happens. All these have one thing in common, multiple attackers.

QUOTE: NYPD, the average hit rate during gunfights was just 18 percent. When suspects did not return fire, police officers hit their targets 30 percent of the time.

Training is wonderful, but reliable capacity is essential. The right tool for the job is always a factor.

I agree 100%. The term "less is more" may be applicable when discussing women's jewelry and cologne. But it has no place in the discussion of ammunition capacity in self defense pistols.

....... Also keep in-mind that 10+ shots fired could mean 10+ different lawsuit lawyers knocking on your door.

If you're going to employ that logic, don't carry weapon at all. Then you will be 100% safe from any lawyer ever, "knocking on your door". Seeing as you seem to fear them more than you do the criminal who is trying to end your life.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
a bit concerned if I was to be under equipped in capacity and distance. I certainly don't intend on having a firefight with a gang....but with a wife to protect on our local travels, I'd just feel better with something more than a snub nose and five shots.

In an effort to get this topic back to the original question. A G-42 is small, and it carries 6+1= 7 rounds. If you feel the need...carry another mag or better yet carry 2 G-42's (New York City Reload) You won't be outgunned-ever. Go with pocket holsters. Way more comfortable than one G-19) Load with something like Hornady Critical Defense. Also learn to shoot non-dominant hand either one hand ot two. You will be amazed how well you can do..If you do it properly. I practice it all the time.

Also I would advise you get a GOOD trainer. Not only forj his training but for his advice. I don't mean go to a gun store that regularly has SD training. Most of these are jokes. Some ideas are: Take the NRA 2 Day instructor course. You will be trained by world class NRA Co-Ordinators ...not the same as your lowly NRA instructors. Consider some Colleges have Law Enforcement Centers. By going there you will jbe taught by folks that train Trainers. Once you get involved with that..these trainers will/may bring in world class trainers.

I have done the above. I am getting training your average cops don't get. I am getting trained by trainers that train trainers. Thats where you want to be. So if you are as serious as you sound, I think you need to look at better options, other than just a bigger firearm. L:et us know (ulltimately) what you decide
cheers3.gif

Last edited:

I agree 100%. The term "less is more" may be applicable when discussing women's jewelry and cologne. But it has no place in the discussion of ammunition capacity in self defense pistols.

I agree in principle but... I noticed my new automatic was always jamming the first time at the range..Though it was the gun. Then noticed it was only when my youngest son was shooting. It was him.

Brings me to the other thread... sister and guns. In the hands of a novice, a six shot revolver that goes bang MAY be better than the jammed 9.

I got a Colt 6 shot 38 for my wife who was just never going to be Annie Oakley even after many trips to the range. Though I have many guns, I still like it. I can quietly cock it. Uncock it easily. Great to answer the door until 11pm. After 11 a shotgun.
smile.gif

My oldest had a unintended discharge in his sig...blew a hole in his car center console>> Sig Sauer issues voluntary recall after unintentional discharge wounds
Sent it back...Defective part. Had a choice to trade it in. Now he carries it without one in the chamber despite my opinion its useless on the street

I think all guns have a place/use even my tiny Seecamp 32 that is always in my pocket when I chose not to carry a bigger gun.

I agree completely with the lawyer comment...

Last edited:

Interpretation: Cops. Who certainly are not trained experts..But even if they were: Their job is to engage the bad guy. As such they must take difficult shots (which yuou shouldn't) and fire way more shots (which you shouldn't) than necessary. I am suprised you would site a statistic that in no way is relevant to you.

Refreshing to see someone here that gets it.
cheers3.gif

Funny LA Cops 102 rounds at 2 elderly unarmed paper women who were driving away. Nobody dead. (Driving away means no threat as did the fact that nobody said they saw a weapon)
No charges for LAPD officers who shot newspaper delivery women during Dorner manhunt
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me...0127-story.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clarkflower
I agree in principle but... I noticed my new automatic was always jamming the first time at the range..Though it was the gun. Then noticed it was only when my youngest son was shooting. It was him..... Brings me to the other thread... sister and guns. In the hands of a novice, a six shot revolver that goes bang MAY be better than the jammed 9. My oldest had a unintended discharge in his sig...blew a hole in his car center console>> Sig Sauer issues voluntary recall after unintentional discharge wounds
Sent it back...Defective part. Had a choice to trade it in. Now he carries it without one in the chamber despite my opinion its useless on the street.... I agree completely with the lawyer comment...

You have to know and understand how to operate ANY gun properly. Limp wristing any semi auto pistol can, and often will cause malfunctions. Solution... Don't do it. Shoot the weapon correctly, and it will go bang every time, just like it's designed to. And if you are worried about unintended discharges, carry a DAO pistol. They function exactly the same as a double action revolver. No safeties or decock levers. Pull the trigger and it goes bang. Just like a 6 shooter..... Except most hold 15+1. 16 rounds without reloading is much better protection than 6.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
I agree in principle but... I noticed my new automatic was always jamming the first time at the range..Though it was the gun. Then noticed it was only when my youngest son was shooting. It was him..... Brings me to the other thread... sister and guns. In the hands of a novice, a six shot revolver that goes bang MAY be better than the jammed 9. My oldest had a unintended discharge in his sig...blew a hole in his car center console>> Sig Sauer issues voluntary recall after unintentional discharge wounds
Sent it back...Defective part. Had a choice to trade it in. Now he carries it without one in the chamber despite my opinion its useless on the street.... I agree completely with the lawyer comment...

You have to know and understand how to operate ANY gun properly. Limp wristing any semi auto pistol can, and often will cause malfunctions. Solution... Don't do it. Shoot the weapon correctly, and it will go bang every time, just like it's designed to. And if you are worried about unintended discharges, carry a DAO pistol. They function exactly the same as a double action revolver. No safeties or decock levers. Pull the trigger and it goes bang. Just like a 6 shooter..... Except most hold 15+1. 16 rounds without reloading is much better protection than 6.

Agree 100%. I think a lot of problems(NOT ALL) with autos not functioning properly is how people hold them. I also like DAO type autos. Consistent operation, no external controls to worry about. I carry a Kahr CW380, CT9, and/or an FNH FNS-L NMS, and I don't have to worry about changing controls going from one to another(or maybe even explaining them to someone else in a situation).
When reading reviews of autos, I could literally duplicate malfunctions that they had in the review, by doing what they were doing, and the malfunctions stopped when held correctly. Now this doesn't address actual physical issues with a pistol when it is defective, but...

In the area a bit north of me, we DO have violent upheaving. Thugs with faces covered (cowards) and destroying property as well as assaulting the innocent. This is a reality here. While I avoid these areas/times the best I can, you never know when these things can occur. You can be in your vehicle, thinking things are safe, when an entire interstate can be blocked by these violent types. You can't turn around or get away. Capacity, at that point, matters to me. Even a simple natural disaster has shown many in the civilian population to morph into a dangerous mob. My wife and I could be in a situation where we need more than my snub nose. Is this rare? An exaggeration? A highly unlikely scenario (among many of others I can't even contemplate)? Maybe. But just the same, I'd much rather have 15 rounds than five.....and I hope I'd never have to use even one round.

a bit concerned if I was to be under equipped in capacity and distance. I certainly don't intend on having a firefight with a gang....but with a wife to protect on our local travels, I'd just feel better with something more than a snub nose and five shots.

In an effort to get this topic back to the original question. A G-42 is small, and it carries 6+1= 7 rounds. If you feel the need...carry another mag or better yet carry 2 G-42's (New York City Reload) You won't be outgunned-ever. Go with pocket holsters. Way more comfortable than one G-19) Load with something like Hornady Critical Defense. Also learn to shoot non-dominant hand either one hand ot two. You will be amazed how well you can do..If you do it properly. I practice it all the time.

Also I would advise you get a GOOD trainer. Not only forj his training but for his advice. I don't mean go to a gun store that regularly has SD training. Most of these are jokes. Some ideas are: Take the NRA 2 Day instructor course. You will be trained by world class NRA Co-Ordinators ...not the same as your lowly NRA instructors. Consider some Colleges have Law Enforcement Centers. By going there you will jbe taught by folks that train Trainers. Once you get involved with that..these trainers will/may bring in world class trainers.

I have done the above. I am getting training your average cops don't get. I am getting trained by trainers that train trainers. Thats where you want to be. So if you are as serious as you sound, I think you need to look at better options, other than just a bigger firearm. L:et us know (ulltimately) what you decide
cheers3.gif

Thank you...good ideas. I'll look into that. You sound like a highly trained handgun owner and know a lot about self defense with firearms.

In the area a bit north of me, we DO have violent upheaving. Thugs with faces covered (cowards) and destroying property as well as assaulting the innocent. This is a reality here. While I avoid these areas/times the best I can, you never know when these things can occur. You can be in your vehicle, thinking things are safe, when an entire interstate can be blocked by these violent types. You can't turn around or get away. Capacity, at that point, matters to me. Even a simple natural disaster has shown many in the civilian population to morph into a dangerous mob. My wife and I could be in a situation where we need more than my snub nose. Is this rare? An exaggeration? A highly unlikely scenario (among many of others I can't even contemplate)? Maybe. But just the same, I'd much rather have 15 rounds than five.....and I hope I'd never have to use even one round.

Where the heck is this at? Is Washington that bad?

The Seattle area is that bad. Antifa, anarchists, and the occasional mall terrorist further north where a person I knew was shot dead trying to help his wife escape.https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/24/washington-shooting-four-people-killed-in-mall-attack The city almost prides itself on mayhem. And it's spreading. Racial tensions as well are mounting. Couple that with the meth problems in the outlying rural areas, and you just never know when crime will strike. No, it's not Houston, Chicago, or Detroit.....yet.

Last edited:
The Seattle area is that bad. Antifa, anarchists, and the occasional mall terrorist further north where a person I knew was shot dead trying to help his wife escape.https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/24/washington-shooting-four-people-killed-in-mall-attack The city almost prides itself on mayhem. And it's spreading. Racial tensions as well are mounting. Couple that with the meth problems in the outlying rural areas, and you just never know when crime will strike. No, it's not Houston, Chicago, or Detroit.....yet.

Jeez. I guess me moving to Sequim when I retire is something I am going to have to think about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back