small engine question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two semi trash pumps. One is an old Honda 2" with a GX120 and the other is a 2" Harbor freight cheapo.

Can someone give me an idea of how to test the small solid state low oil control module on the side of these engines? Does it have an ohm value or something?

The Predator low oil switch can be unplugged to allow the engine to run. I forget whether you have to loop the wires. It works like an oil pressure switch . Low pressure grounds out coil. That would be ohms, But no need to get fancy. Guessing Honda uses same scheme. Running test would be tipping idling engine and see if it dies.
grin2.gif

If you think that it is preventing the engine from running even though the oil level is OK, disconnect it and the engine should run. If the engine still doesn't run there is some other problem.

The electrical system is very simple here. The small wire from the ignition coil is called a "kill wire". Grounding it (either with the on/off switch or the low oil sensor) will kill the sparks and stop the engine. Leaving it open will allow the ignition to work and run the engine.

The ones I've seen aren't much more than a float switch. Test with an Ohm meter and full of oil, should be an open circuit. Drain the oil and test again, should be a closed circuit. They ground out the ignition when the oil level is low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back