Small data point: How long does it take for a sway bar end link to fail after the grease leaks out? 2 years.

2 years ago, I installed a Bilstein B12 kit on my 2007 Corolla, since this replaces both the springs and dampers on a MacPherson Strut, the end links have to come off as well. It was my first time doing any suspension work, removing the sway bar end links proved to be one of the major headaches, the reason is rust. It should have been easy according to the guides. It never is, except on a nearly-new car without any rust.

In any case, the boot on the sway bar end link which holds grease inside ripped and you can see the grease coming out. Since I was already so beat up from the job, I figured I would handle it later. Months went by without any noise or issues until about now when you can tell the end link is starting to make noise. It's time to replace them. It's been about 2 years, 15,000 miles on punishing NYC city roads.

That's about how long sway bar end links last when the grease is no longer kept and protected by the boots.

This has been an edition of: Small Data Points.

Good data point. I'll bet there are all sorts of cars with these torn boots out there. I find the a failing tie rod end causes a back and forth vibration in the steering wheel as a tip off. Thanks for the post.

My secret weapon for rusty endlinks is a nut splitter. I'll hit it with the impact a few times but if I can't get needle nose vicegrips in there to hold the shaft I go straight to the splitter.

... removing the sway bar end links proved to be one of the major headaches, the reason is rust. It should have been easy according to the guides. It never is, except on a nearly-new car without any rust. ...
Even new cars can have corroded difficult end links. I replaced the rear sway bar on my wife's Subaru when it was less than year old and only 3,000 miles all pavement driving. They were as difficult as the other Subaru which was 17 years old. I managed to avoid cutting them off with judicious use of liquid wrench, and moving the nut back and forth to chase the threads, little by little until it finally came clear.

Back