Small busness computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for something that can multitask, Download, lots of apps opened, etc, etc and do it relatively fast!. Video card is not important tower only is what I need. Must be robust and last for many years.

Found these two that I think would be up to the challenge, building is out of the question plug and play is what I want will not be upgraded in the future so it would have to last

have always had good luck with ASUS...

thought's?
(A) Amazon

(B) Amazon

If it were me, I would be looking at Dell or HP--you seem to not want to "mess with it" (if I read between the lines) and these would come with an on site warranty. My company has used both with good service and PCs are (more or less) a commodity these days since they are mostly the same inside with a different name on the outside. Dell has also has a refurb site that lists returned machined (they cannot be sold as new), but they are new for all intents and purposes.

Hope this helps!

Straying from Dell I think they have slipped over the years, what do you mean by on site warranty? they would come to your Business?

Link A will not work for some reason
mad.gif

Last edited:
Who will fix it, if needed? Buy 2 of each then. You first option (broken link in your post) is an overkill in video department. You don't need the video card per your requirements. The card is an overkill and a weak point at the same time. The first thing that go out are fans: CPU, PSU, case, videocard.

As for Dell and HP 'slipping': aim for their workstation grade boxes. Nothing wrong with the Asus boxes, I just don't see a solid case for business continuity there. Get more RAM - better ROI in longer term.

Get 2 external hard drives to back up your data at the end of each working day. Bring one home and the other in another safe place far away from your business location. A fire in your office will wipe out both your computer and one back up drive if they are in the same location. Or you could email your data to yourself daily if your files are not that huge.

Originally Posted By: daman
Straying from Dell I think they have slipped over the years, what do you mean by on site warranty? they would come to your Business?
Well, we have over 20,000 Dell machines deployed globally and while we have problems with some of them from time to time, by and large they are good machines. Most of the issues are with laptops and are frankly due to the abuse the users dish out.

Yes, they come to your business to repair the machine. There are different warranties where you have to send it in to Dell, but they also have on-site warranties. This would be want you want because downtime can kill a business (no matter what size it is).

You should buy the parts and build one yourself. It's not that hard.
OR, have a local computer shop make one for you. You can put more reliable components in a custom built desktop such as a better power supply, better fans.. .

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You should buy the parts and build one yourself. It's not that hard.

Sounds like a terrible idea for business.

Quote:
OR, have a local computer shop make one for you.

That's better. Just make sure it does not go out of business tomorrow.

depend on what the use will be.if it isnt for gaming ?get a chromebook .lot of review online. very good bang for your $if its for gaming? sorry cant help you ( since i am trying to move away from pc gaming )

If its critical to your business then get two systems. Maybe two laptops and one external monitor. Laptops are easier to send out for repair.

Then a backup strategy. Suggest an external RAID enclosure. And some cloud backup storage offsite in case of theft or fire.

Forget bringing anything home, swapping a harddrive work to home and home to work. For a backup strategy to be effective you need to have it automatic.

You can look up how fast a given chip is on the passmark website. There are many chips, families, but passmarks is the important number.

I would get an SSD.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Who will fix it, if needed? Buy 2 of each then. You first option (broken link in your post) is an overkill in video department. You don't need the video card per your requirements. The card is an overkill and a weak point at the same time. The first thing that go out are fans: CPU, PSU, case, videocard.

As for Dell and HP 'slipping': aim for their workstation grade boxes. Nothing wrong with the Asus boxes, I just don't see a solid case for business continuity there. Get more RAM - better ROI in longer term.

Thanks guys lots of good ideas.

why would that video card be a weak point?
16GB of ram isn't enough? I would think it would be.

Originally Posted By: daman
why would that video card be a weak point?

Because it's an extra component that you do not need and that can fail.

I believe he was suggesting you just use the on-board graphics instead, which you can still do, I believe, even if you do have a standalone video card in there.

Dell Optiplex with plenty of ram and a solid state hard drive.

Buy the 3 year warranty also.

No brainer. Intel onboard video is fine, you can buy a core i5 or core i7 configuration.

Personally, I have had excellent service with Dell computers. Asus makes motherboards for Dell, at least they have in the past. High quality Sunon double ball bearing fans used in the lowest tier Inspiron desktops. Parts are easy to come by for older computers at good prices. The power supplies in the lower tier products are not that good, but one does get what one pays for.

I would buy an Optiplex with an Intel i7, and at least 8 GB of memory with an SSD boot drive of at least the 240 to 250 GB capacity, and then add in what ever you need for storage and backup.

I have had good luck with Dell too. Parts are cheap and plentiful, and I can still download drivers for 15 year old machines.

Been looking at DELL on there site putting a computer together and the prices can clime fast.

Basically anything you want to last more than 5 years, plan on buying high end components now. The cheaper machines are usually built with mid-range CPU's modest amounts of ram and lower capacity hard drives. They will be outpaced by the programs your trying to run on them.

We have a pile of computers in my office, the lower tier mini-workstations we plan on replacing every 3 years. The upper range workstations like the one on my desk go for around 5 years before an upgrade is needed. Only major difference is the CPU and amount of Ram we run in them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back