SM, G4 oil is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno about other oils, but over here, Petronas has launched a new synthetic that it claims rated at SM, ILSAC-G4.

And its priced extremely expensive.

quote:

Originally posted by TsLeng:
Dunno about other oils, but over here, Petronas has launched a new synthetic that it claims rated at SM, ILSAC-G4.

If Petronas knows what the final SM spec is going to be they should tell API
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

http://www.lubereport.com/e_article000244001.cfm

Let's see what the formulation is first before we break out the party hats and balloons. SL was more of a benefit to the mfr's than buyers, in my opinion, as the reduced levels of well-known AW and FM additives (primarily ZDDP) to protect the cats may have reduced the long-term wear properties of previous API "S-class" oils. Some SL's have looked very good, and the replacement additives very promising, others not so good.

First does not always mean best, either. I am in no rush to S&M - I mean, SM.
wink.gif

Now hold on.....isn't the SM oils getting a bad rep because their additive packages are nothing as good as the SL? Only going to SM because of the potential problem with the catalytic converters? School me here Gentlemen.....

Guys, I don't know abt the price of synthetics in the States. But back here in Asia as in Indonesia, Mobil1 0w-40 retail for US$ 28++
I personally have tried Petronas Syntium 3000 which is rated API SL and believe me it is a good oil.

[ April 10, 2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Jiao ]

Wow, That means Mobil1 0w-40 is really making a lot of money in Indonesia. The 5w-50 is much cheaper though but still expensive at around US$ 14. here in Indonesia. Thanks Palmerwnd for the info.
cool.gif

Quoted from the above links:
This new classification is not actually applicable yet but the technical specifications have been finalised and it is just the administrative process left before it will be officially announced in July 2004. According to Dr Michael Hession, General Manager of the Lubricants Division in Petronas, there are two options for the specifications left to be decided but whichever one is finally adopted, the new Petronas Syntium 5000 engine oil will still meet it.

I don't like the Amsoil jokes guys.

Jiao/TS - thanks for the posts. The last one from Jiao is the kicker. Any, even 1/2-a$$ed oil can meet the performance portions of SL => SM, yet some (group 1, 2) oil manufacturers are sweating BB's about SM. What does that tell you about "API" "specs" for motor oil?

Yes Schmoe, SM started out mainly a P reduction exercise, driven by bureaucracy, not engine science.

TsLeng,

Thank you for the links its always good to see whats goping on international.

As for your question about the price of Mobil1 0w-40 in USA, it is roughly between $4.30 and 5.00 USD depending on location.
With most locations around $4.60 and 4.85 USD ( I travle a lot between states and when in a different town I often wind up looking at stuff like that just out of boredom.

Fred...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back