SLX/GC 0w-30 vs Syntec 5w-40 from Belgium...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this thread is eventually going to start, so I started it. I found some Syntec 5w-40 today at a local Speed Shop. It was only $4.79, and smelled nice, so I bought one.
grin.gif
Interestingly, it said Volkswagen 502, 505 right on the FRONT! What struck me as an oil junkie is the fact that VW 503.01 and the other manufacturers specs were missing. Isn't that the long-life spec? It seems like a decent oil, as good as other 1998 ACEA A3-formulated oils or better. I'd use this oil in absence of GC, but GC is a newer and better oil holding more specs, right? It is nice to see this oil, one of only 2 IMPORTED otc oils and this one will be widely distributed. It shows a commitment to the Euro car oil market. Probally M1 5w-40 is the same generation of oil, that would be the other obvious comparison.

I'm interested in seeing some UOAs on this oil, and also wonder if it really is a PAO/ester base or if it's group 3? Coming from Belgium I would assume it's PAO/ester since they aren't allowed to label it full synthetic over there when it's group 3 correct?

Not as strong a smell, but similar. This might be a good oil for people who need soemthing a bit heavier than GC or don't want 0w oil for some reason. What I am trying to figure out is the basic question of wheather this is a better or newer oil than GC, which I believe it is not. Still, I will probally use it in Mom and Mother in Laws car, as my GC is just for me.

What speed shop did you buy this from? I'm in southern California and got the impression that you could only buy it at VW dealerships. I was also under the impression that it was very expensive. Whats the deal??
dunno.gif

Sorry for the delay. I got it at a normal motorhead-ricer Speed Shop. They carry Royal Purple as well, if that helps. Maybe it will come to AutoZone too. $4.89 a quart. Since starting this post, I have used it in my womans 87 Audi CGT w/189k it is now my new pet oil, smooth and sweet in a car that I have tried MANY oils in, the last was GC. It's starting up fine at -10F. I plan on using it year-round in the 5 or 6 cars I maintain. I aquired 7 quarts for my summer cycle in my 99 V6 Audi, saving GC for winter. With the VW specs, it is very attractive to the German car crowd. PS I would consider the 5w-50 Syntec in SoCal.

[ January 25, 2004, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

I'm going to be using Rotella T 5W-40 sythetic in my son's Pathfinder once the A/Rx rinse is done. I think 5W-40 is a nice weight for almost anyone who lives in a climate that doesn't get *really* cold, especially for an engine with a few miles on it. I'd like to see a few newer oils appear in this weight...

This oil is looking better and better to me at least
smile.gif

Apparently it uses a blend of 68037-01-4 PAO along with the Shell XHVI 5.2 basestock . Now the percentages are unknown to me but those two basestocks are what the Shell Helix Ultra uses and it ain't no slouch
smile.gif

Less than 5 bucks a quart and a low 13.5 vi @ 100c with less than 3300cP @ -25c makes for a nice oil for many gasoline engines given the specs it meets . ISLAC GF-3 as well

SAE 5W-40: is engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, exceeding VW 502 00 and 505 00. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Porsche approved and also exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4, MB 229.3, MB 229.1, BMW LL-98. Meets the engine protection requirements of Corvette GM 4718M, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz and ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Now I really think we will find that the new Castrol 0w-30 is comprised of the same two basestocks the 5w-40 is since neither is destined for sale beyond North America ... that synthetic thing and overseas ya know
smile.gif

[ January 26, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Its Castrol Syntec but its made in Germany. Most of the Autozones are stocking it now. It is way better then any other Syntec on the market.

Patman, the only thing I can think of is if it's a Group III (Hydrocracked) in Europe, it would be labelled as such there, but a "synthetic" here. Does anyone know if Castrol even sells a synthetic 5-40 in Europe or is it an "HC" oil?

eg. if it's the "Magnatec" then it would be a group III...and labelled as such in Europe, but labelled a synthetic here.

I took at the German Castrol site. They show the following categories:

Voll-Synthese -- full synthtic

HC-Synthese -- hydro-cracked

Leichtlauf-Motorenöl -- hydro-cracked with additional friction modifiers

Diesel-Motorenöle -- for diesel engines

Mineralölbasisches Motorenöl -- mineral oil

TOPUP -- for adding to vehicles with LL/WIV service; doesn't say if it's HC, but I think so.

-

http://www.castrol.de/produkte/a_auto/a_motorenoele/freigaben1.jpg

Is this the correct MSDS for the (Belgium) Castrol 5w-40?

CASTROL NORTH AMERICA INC.
CONSUMER MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
SECTION I: IDENTITY
Product/Material Name: Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil
Chemical Name: Mixture
Chemical Family/Classification: Synthetic hydrocarbon
INGREDIENTS - CHEMICAL/COMMON NAME EXPOSURE LIMITS -
TLV
LD50 LC50 %
Synthetic hydrocarbons and neutral oils which
may contain one or more of the following:
CASRN 68037-01-4, 64742-54-7, 64742-65-0,
68649-12-7, 64741-88-4, 72623-87-1, 92062-09-
TWA: 5 mg/m3
Suggested
Oral, rat: > 5 g/kg. ND 70-100
Multi-functional additive mixture composed of
organo-metallic compounds, typically containing
zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate, calcium salts of
alkylated phenol sulfides, magnesium
sulphonate, alkylated diphenyl amines, and other
proprietary.ingredients CASRN NA,
Mixture
ND ND ND 15-30
SECTION VI: PHYSICAL/CHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Boiling Point: ND Specific Gravity (Water=1): 0.85
Vapor Pressure mm.Hg. @ 25C: ND Vapor Density Air=1: ND
Percent Volatiles: Negligible Evaporation RateBuAc=1: < 0.1
Solubility in Water: Negligible Freezing Point: -22F to -40F -30C to -40C
pH-Value: NA Viscosity @ 100C, cSt.: 12.8 typ.
Odor Threshold: NA Coefficient of Water/Oil Distribution: ND
Appearance, Odor & Physical State: Clear, amber liquid; mild petroleum odor
Flash Point COC: 437F 225C min.
Fire Point COC: > 450F 232C min.
Section 313 Toxic Release Inventory Chemical/Category:
Zinc compounds, 2.5% wt. max.

I was looking at this product yesterday at a local store, and when I compared the specs with the German Castol site (www.castrol.de), I concluded that it was the GTX7 Magnatec, and not the "Vollsynthese" (full synthetics) 5w-40 505.01 oil.

According to the castrol.de site, the Magnatec, as moribundman says, is Gr. III. The full synthetics are Gr. IV or Gr. V. base.

Interestingly, if you want to look around a bit on the web, you can find out more info on the automaker's specs on Motul's Japanese site, (www.motul.co.jp). Motul publishes a table of various OEM specs and which of their oils meet which spec.

According to the Motul table, the BMW LL-98 spec allows Gr. III's, but the LL-01 (that M1 0w-40 and GC both meet) requires a "chemical synthetic" base oil. The min HTHS is 3.5 for both, and the only apparent difference is 5,000 to 10,000 more kilometers per oil change for LL-01 oils.

Cheers
JJ

Bobert ,

Yep that's the MSDS and the 12.8 cSt even makes it more appealing for some gas engines built these days vs the heavier 40wts .

Thanks for the additional links and info guys . One thing for sure now if the Motul site is correct , it leaves little doubt that the 0w-30 uses no group III oils in formulation and the same info will help distinguish oils in the future .

I think we need to keep an eye on the 0w-30 to see if the LL-01 spec gets dropped , Patman is it still listed on your newest bottles ?

I am aquainted with the local Castrol Dist so I will swing by and get some of the 5w-40 today so to get another a virgin analysis of it .

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

I think we need to keep an eye on the 0w-30 to see if the LL-01 spec gets dropped , Patman is it still listed on your newest bottles ?

I'm not sure, I'll have to check it when I get home. A quick glance at the label when I bought the newest batch the other day looked to me like it had not changed in any way, but I'll double check tonight to be 100% certain.

Quote:

Is the Shell XHVI 5.2 basestock a GIII?

Yep it is and a pretty good one especially when blended with PAO .

The new Shell Advance Motorcycle oils uses both these basestocks fwiw .

quote:

So it's safe to assume that the Castrol Syntec 5w-40 has some GIII basestock since it meets the LL-98 standard, rather than LL-01?

I don't think that is the case. Castrol's SLX LL-II oils are low HT/HS, this is the oil used in the extended oil service up to 60,000km, not like SLX I/GC which is the normal extended drain up to 30,000 miles. Belgium Castrol is 1998 A3, up to 15,000km drain, but I am saying the heavier viscosity prevents making the Long-Life spec, not the basestock itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back