Sluggish Power Steering @ Idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a change to synthetic in an 18 year old truck be worth it or is it probably pump re-placement time for an old G. M. product?

Does the steering pulsate at low RPM?

Does the PS pump squeal? Is the belt tight and new?

As a first cut, I would remove and replace as much PS oil as possible (Turkey baster method) with a synthetic ATF like Mobil 1 or Amsoil's 7.5 cSt ATF.

I would start with a fluid change using whatever is called for in the owner's manual (Probably Dexron III). If that made an improvement, I would then change to a synthetic.

i have this same problem in my car. sluggish power steering. my car has 180K miles on it though. i have already changes the ps fluid a couple times and it didnt help.
i was thinking perhaps the pump and rack are a bit worn, maybe i could add a bit on non detergent sae 30 or sae40 to thicken the atf up a little bit. maybe that would improve idle speed steering.

I would empty the resovoir and refill with MMO. Run that until it is no longer slugish then empty and refill with fresh power steering fluid. If it does not help then you problem need to rebuild either the rack or the pump. I had a resovoir of MMO in my 4Runner for year's. I had to make a repair whileout 4 wheeling and no one had atf we all had manual transmissions. So it was either oil or MMO and I went with the MMO something like 10 year's later I still had the MMO in it and it looked just like new!!! The pump finaly failed at 16 year's in age and it was as clean as could be inside. So I know that MMO will not hurt a healthy power steering pump.

I would not use MMO as a hydraulic fluid, since it doesn't have he needed suite of additives or a PS system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back