Sludging or dropout of AMSOIL SVG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I've been a fan of AMSOIL SVG for a long time now. Used it in lots of my vehicles.

I found some rather old unopened bottles - ca 2008-2010 Id guess (no date codes on bottles). I'm doing a diff service on a 1981 Mercedes 300CD which isn't a high stress application (120hp/180lb-ft).

I had two quarts (capacity of course is 1.1qt); pumped a little through to "rinse" out some dirt in there (another thread coming on that), most of one into the diff and then pumped some from the second. When pumping it was clean and clear.

When I got to the bottom of pouring the one bottle, I noticed what looked like floating white particles.

Investigated more and saw the attached.

Any thoughts? Looks almost gelatinous in the bottom of the bottle. Note this has sat on a shelf for the better part of a decade.

DA2D29DB-8748-408B-A54A-721669C4716D.jpeg

6DC2FBF7-CE32-4F2F-8788-0D1BB2C89392.jpeg

not good for sure, buy new as even overpriced Amsoil is cheaper than mechanical issues it could cause!

I wouldn't want that in something I own. It looks like some kind of fallout and separation of additives. Was the product stored inside the house or in an unheated garage?

May be paraffin that has come out of solution. Rub some between your fingers and see if it reacts like wax. I would think the mechanical action coupled with heat would cause the stuff to homogenize with the rest of the oil in a relatively short time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I wouldn't want that in something I own. It looks like some kind of fallout and separation of additives. Was the product stored inside the house or in an unheated garage?

I heated garage.

Originally Posted by sloinker
May be paraffin that has come out of solution. Rub some between your fingers and see if it reacts like wax. I would think the mechanical action coupled with heat would cause the stuff to homogenize with the rest of the oil in a relatively short time.

I wouldnt expect there to be much paraffin in 90degree conditions. I also wouldn't expect there to be much that solidifies like this in a high end lube.

Regardless, it's a matter of sitting long periods, IMo.

Amsoil must have used the same basestocks Pennzoil did! The wax is falling out of suspension!

I kid, I kid.

It does look like additive fallout though.

Thickeners and VII's tend to agglomerate in ancient gear oils sitting on the shelf.

Bake (warm up bottles) and Shake and use without worry.

Last edited:
Last week it could have been wrapped in black plastic and left on the diving board - bake & shake

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by demarpaint

I heated garage.

Originally Posted by sloinker

I wouldnt expect there to be much paraffin in 90degree conditions. I also wouldn't expect there to be much that solidifies like this in a high end lube.

Regardless, it's a matter of sitting long periods, IMo.

The reason I said paraffin harkens back to the 1970's. I had a car that guzzled oil. I bought the cheapest oil I could find. In cold weather it actually left wax stuck inside the can, it would also stick to the spout point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back