SLUDGED!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Steve i thought you and bill said engines stay clean with dino??? whats going on here?
whistle.gif
wink.gif

I posted pictures of one that ran dino and stayed clean... I also never said that previous specs before SM kept engines clean, but today's dinos do!
whistle.gif
grin2.gif

You can clean the valve cover with some brake cleaner... And the top part of the engine... Then fill with some cheap dino and a "shock" type engine flush... Run for 10 minutes at 1K RPM or less and then drain and refill... This will work too!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: daman
Steve i thought you and bill said engines stay clean with dino??? whats going on here?
whistle.gif
wink.gif

I posted pictures of one that ran dino and stayed clean... I also never said that previous specs before SM kept engines clean, but today's dinos do!
whistle.gif
grin2.gif

Oh....ok
LOL.gif
11.gif

I'll concur that those engines are darn tough, and this one will keep going for many, many miles. If its quiet, and doesn't burn much oil, all the better.

Have fun trying to clean it up with MMO, etc.... but don't lose sleep over it....

a.) that's not bad for the years, oil, and miles

b.) since when did running an OCI of HM or synths clean everything right up?

I say if the car is running fine just keep doing what you're doing. Check again in another 21 years to see if it looks any worse.

stevie, i dont think its good for you to recommend 10 minute flushes. I did on once to an 85 eldorado, wasnt even sludged, and the next morning i had blue exhaust smoke from then on!

Originally Posted By: harley145000
what do you expect?it's a 21 year old car.put the valve cover back on and drive it.

That's what I'm saying.
My SL2 runs so well, if I took off the valve cover and that is what I saw, I'd just put it back on. The thing purrs perfectly fine, and I have no idea what it looks like under there.

I like the idea of running a ring performance test.

Can heavy varnish gunk up the compression rings?
Will various additive and/or Synthetic oils clean said rings?

Take a set of compression reading, then add whatever MysteryRxFoam goop you like, or run a good cleaning Syn for a a few short OCIs. Retest and post the results!

I guess my OCD is getting the best of me. That would bother me. The engine could be running like a top, but if I pulled a VC, it would bother me. OTOH had I not pulled the VC, no problem then.

Happy 4th!

Frank D

I'm pulling my VC in about a week. If I found that in my 1998 I would be mortified. I agree, some seem to have "low" standards. The BITOG crowd is fragmented - there's the OCD crowd running nothing but diester oils in their sling-lube lawnmowers. Then there's the folks who are OK with buildup as long as the engine runs and wear a badge of how many miles and how little maintenance they do. Then there's everyone else in between.

I'm wondering if being a chronic old-lady short tripper wasn't a big part of it. I notice the inside of the VC looks about like the surfaces of the head. This indicates to me condensation etc... being a major factor.

Perhaps you should check or simply change the PCV just in case it's gunked up. If you like to run science experiments and put on enough miles to try all kinds of things for the board, I would mechanically clean the inside of the VC and all of the gasket surfaces with solvent. I'd be nervous to use a fast flush particularly on something I didn't know the history of. If the engine is working fine this isn't a "nothing to lose" scenario. At the same time I might not want to wait for ARX to do its thing since varnish isn't a forte of ARX.

I would personally be looking in the direction of LC20 or Rislone, I guess. Pull the VC to see how it's coming. After things look better and you have the majority of the visible crud cleaned, you could follow up with a single round of ARX for the rings and any other hidden crud you don't know about (if it's a keeper).

If it were mine, I'd stick with a good dino throughout, perhaps one known for cleaning, an HM variety, or an HDEO depending on your climate and use of the car. If you're using it for short-tripping, go on the thinner side.

This engine reminds me of when I had the VC off of my 2000 Tundra V-8 at about 140K miles. Not really sludged, but a lot of that redddish brown film on the valve train. The cover itself didn't look too bad, but had some staining.

I have to laugh when I hear people say just do 3K OCI's with a quality oil and this won't happen. Nobody was more anal than me about religiously doing 3K OCI's. The dealer did the first 5 OC's and then I moved on to Pennzoil synthetic (SL) at 17K. That's pretty much all that the engine saw for the next 80K miles. There were a couple of fills of M1 and Synpower thrown in as well. Then I moved on to ML syn and PP after that with 5K OCI's. Once the film buildup was identified, I purchased some ARX and did 2 treatments on the engine and one on the tranny (significant 2-3 hard/violent shifting problems). The tranny has been rescued, but I haven't had the VC off again to evaluate the cleanliness of the valve train yet. During the ARX cleaning and rinses, the oil did turn reddish brown in color, so I think I can assume that it cleaned quite a bit of the film off.

From day one on this website, I can't think of a more valuable thing that I've learned about than Auto-Rx. I am eternally indepted to you guys for sharing your knowledge of this product and psssing it along to people like me.

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
stevie, i dont think its good for you to recommend 10 minute flushes. I did on once to an 85 eldorado, wasnt even sludged, and the next morning i had blue exhaust smoke from then on!
It wasn't the additive, it was an underlying problem revealed by the additive.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: hounddog
That was not a every 3k OCI.Maybe yearly.

The last two years i've owned it i've used nothing but quality oils every 3k. But like i said i have no idea what the PO did as far as maintenance is concerned.

I will be using MMO for the next two or three OCI's. If that doesn't do the trick i may move onto something like ARX. But we'll see. My goal is to hit at least 250k, which means i gotta get another 116k outta her. I'll have a UOA done at the end of this OCI next month.

The PCV valve was replaced at the same time as the VC gasket. This thing hasn't burned a drop of oil since the OC i did in may, i'm using 5w30 PYB.

Oh yeah, this car grew up in canada, so cold weather driving and short trips from the nice old lady may have lead to some condensation over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back