sludge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During cold starts on my '92 Paseo, I hear a scratching noise when starting it up. Sounds like some sort of friction that happens for a second or so. I'm thinking it may be sludge becuase this car hasn't been maintained the best. 176,xxx on the odo. Is this a symptom of sludge and what sort of remedies do you advise?

Auto-RX for the sludge of course everyone will tell you. Probably need 2 applications. Could be the oil filter too. I say for starters you use the Auto-Rx and go from their.

look through your oil fill cap with a flashlight. Do you see any clumps of sludge?

if so...autorx!

What cold temperature are we talking about?
oil? filter?

Unfortunately, many Toyota models have a baffle inside the valve cover and oil filler that prevents you from seeing anything inside. Making matters worse, in some engines, like the 1MZ-FE V-6 found in many Camrys, they put a black rubbery coating on the baffle that has fooled many into thinking they have sludge. I have no idea whether the Passeo has the baffle and/or the coating.

A couple years ago on ToyotaNation, I got into an amusing little dispute with a guy (a Toyota mech, of all people) about the baffle coating. He insisted it did not exist. I finally lost patience and posted a series of pics. Thankfully, unlike discussions in so many of the cheezy import forums, this one ended with some class (TNs pretty good, btw).

Click here to see TN thread with picture of Toyota oil filler baffle & coating.

could it be a v-belt, dont know if those cars had v-belts but my monte did and when they got old they would squeek at startup.

offtopic.gif

i read that thread ekpolk, very interesting. atleast the toyota guy admitted he was wrong. it takes more of a man to admit wrong than it does to argue away. what was up with that redrum guy, he came in posted a huge flame and then never posted on that thread again?

Racer:

Yes, he showed that he has some character and integrity. I respect him for that, and unfortunately, I've not crossed path (or swords) with him since, that I know of. As I said, TN is a pretty good forum, far better than a lot of the childish petty import groups. Alas, as you saw, there's a troll or two there too. They're almost everywhere, it seems. I like how Tony and company run a tight ship here and refuse to tolerate such stuff.
cheers.gif

Start with a different make oil filter like Purolator Pure Ones or Wix. Then try Havoline if you're using dino.... Motorcraft for a syn-blend -- GC for full synthetic. Use a minimum of a half-bottle of VSOT with it.

I have never heard a sound from sludge. Wear, yes. Sludge, no. What you're hearing might not even be your engine. It might be an alternator bearing, or a bearing in a belt idler pulley. I have experienced both of these on cars in cold starts. If a ball bearing gets dry it will do this. Some of the time I can get by with greasing the offending bearing with a needle attachment on my grease gun. It might also be your power steering pump, or a clutch bearing on an A/C compressor.

offtopic.gif

quote:

I like how Tony and company run a tight ship here and refuse to tolerate such stuff.

Gee, if we did that on AcuraZine, I think 80% of the people would be perma-banned, especially those obnoxious guys in the off-topic section, which I call the "Zoo."

Spray something like WD-40 (a lot of it) on the belts and the front of the alternator, ps pump and a/c pump and see if the noise goes away for a little while.

You guys might be on to something here. It is only a start-up sound when the engine is cold and doesn't make the noise ever when the engine has been warmed up. I'll try to condition the belts. Would WD-40 be recommended like the gentleman before me suggested.

I thought I heard somewhere to not use WD-40 to condition drive belts. I may be totally wrong though.

I have however heard this stuff called "Belt Dressing" recommended. Never seen it, nor looked for it in a parts store. I'm sure if you go into a parts store there will be a few different belt conditioning sprays to choose from.

If the belts are set at the correct tension and the WD-40 or anything else stops the noise then dump the belts. One shot will not hurt them. Don't use belt dressing, just run them as installed. Also, if you have p/s, turn the wheel all the way while parked and listen for a squeel. Belts are cheap and as they age they are more likely to fail. If you are not concerned about having a belt fail or just can't stand to spend a few bucks then just turn up the radio and make sure your cell phone is charged.

If the belts are set at the correct tension and the WD-40 or anything else stops the noise then dump the belts. One shot will not hurt them. Don't use belt dressing, just run them as installed. Also, if you have p/s, turn the wheel all the way while parked and listen for a squeel. Belts are cheap and as they age they are more likely to fail. If you are not concerned about having a belt fail or just can't stand to spend a few bucks then just turn up the radio and make sure your cell phone is charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back