sludge pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
who has the best picture of sludge.....

-

Guys, guys....that isn't sludge and that machine isn't an engine. The black stuff you see is a very moist unregularly shaped brownie....the machine is a brownie maker!
cool.gif

BTW, I'm willing to bet this engine was neglected over a period of years. I have seen a chevy 350 with that much build up.....it was determined the original owner never changed the oil.....he just kept adding when the level went down. I think that engine would need to be disassembled, scraped and then thrown in a furnace in order to vaporize all the remaining sludge. A few acid baths after that and it should be good to go! I would still run ARX once the engine is put back together.

[ April 06, 2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

Ya, I've seen them like that before. The worst I ever saw (Sorry no pics) was a 305 Shivvy in a station wagon a lady brought in for an oil leak.

After lookin it appeared that the valvecover gaskets were leaking. So I proceded to remove one .....And my jaw dropped.
shocked.gif

It looked like the cover was still on! The sludge was that tall. It even had every indention that the valve cover had except for where the pcv valve sits. It stuck to the cover here when I removed it.

Thanks for that educational pic.

Perhaps they need to hang it on freeways to burn that image into motorists heads.

People who keep there engines like this are truly despicable in my opinion.

Gross negligence! Hmm...I wonder if his heart has that much cholesterol and plaque deposits! It would be a good match
wink.gif

I have zero tolerance for this type of cheapness. It would be hard for me to believe even the thriftiest person on a bulk dino oil at 3-5k would see this level of sludge.

Errrrr, my blood pressure rises.

Ya, outside of a Cholene liquified salt cleaning, hot tank or acid bath i wonder what if anything Mobil 1 or ARX could do for this case.

Hmmm, I wonder what happen: (hypothetical conversation)

Me (Auto Service Advisor) : I would recommend an overhaul of this engine as it is covered in "tar" I have never in my experiance seen such an extreme case.

Engine owner: But it was running all this time just fine without service.

Me: That exactly why it looks this way.

Engine owner: Kid, I have been alive much longer than you, oil changes are not really important.

Me: The Auto Makers would beg to differ sir.

Engine Owner: I just want a **** oil change!!!

And so on *lol*

Looks like it could be a 2.8. Could be a Ford product though.

Reminds me of a story, my Dad told me. Long ago he worked as a mechanic and an older gentleman came in with his Cadillac, saying it didn't run well. When they pulled the pan they found it full of black sludge. He asked the man when he had his oil changed last. The man said never. Every time his oil got low he simply topped it off with some STP.
lol.gif

-T

A guy at the oil change place where I go if either I'm not doing it or not taking it to the dealer had on old pickup come in for a change. He took out the plug, and nothing happened. With a light, he could see that there was a black obstruction. He gingerly pushed a coathanger wire into the hole, worked it around a little, and presto, oil, very black oil, came dribbling through the sludge layer. Owner could not recall last change. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back