Sludge Causes Engine To Throw Rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a friend of mine a while back purchased a used (2000 model I believe) Nissan Frontier with the V6 engine. Has about 50,000 miles on the clock.

He's had it for several months now, and just the other day, he told me that the engine threw three rods through the block.

Well, he brought it back to the dealer (reputable place in town that sells both new and used vehicles).

First thing they asked him for were his oil change receipts, but he said he didn't have any.

...Dealer said they found "sludge" in the engine (don't know exact amounts...this was all I was told).

Now I don't know if he did change the oil or not, but could sludge cause three connecting rods to shoot themselves out of the block?

Thanks.

I doubt it. The only way for a con rod to come loose is to break the cap, the bolts, the piston pin, the crank, or the rod itself. All of which are rather unlikely with just a little sludge buildup.

The same negligence that can cause sludge can cause the lack of lubrication on the rod bearings that will make them seize...exhausted oil and/or insufficient oil.

Ken

Jelly:

The "reputable" dealer should have serviced the vehicle before it was sold. If your friend has had it only "several months", unless he drives lots and lots of miles, he probably hasn't gone much past Nissan's recommended OCI if at all. And if the engine is "sludged up", or has a serious consumption issue, my guess is that it was that way when he bought it.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike242GT:
Jelly:

The "reputable" dealer should have serviced the vehicle before it was sold. If your friend has had it only "several months", unless he drives lots and lots of miles, he probably hasn't gone much past Nissan's recommended OCI if at all. And if the engine is "sludged up", or has a serious consumption issue, my guess is that it was that way when he bought it.

Thing is, I really don't know much about the sitation besides what I already said in my first post...knew the guy in school...he went one way, I went the other. Went back home this weekend and ran into him.

..I was just curious as to if sludge could cause three rods to shoot through the block???

If oil passages leading to the crankshaft were restricted from sludge, I'd say it would be possible for things to get bad enough that catastrophic damage occurred. (especially if your "friend" was engaging in "spirited driving" technique) Something doesn't smell right about the vehicle's maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back