Sludge advice please

I have a e60 525d 2007 upon changing the valve cover gasket I was met with this sludge now I got the car in may 2021 and changed all fluids and it’s been running ok.

Is there anything I can do I’m hesitant on using engine flush.

As you can see in the pics it’s missed a few services.

Thanks.

2847ED65-65C7-43D8-ACA5-8C83E2B2CB36.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
History on car as to why it sludged up?
No idea, was a trade in I believe, i did not get much history for the car was bought as a project really as it needed some things doing to it, but since purchase its been running well just that I seen all this sludge and want to try and clean it up a little.

car is a weekend casual car only goes out 1 or 2 times a week since last oil change only done around 1500 miles.

thanks.

more info

Mileage 150k
DPF Deleted
EGR Deleted
Remapped
Just had a new turbo

Run this:

or this

change your filter often. I would’ve suggested that you clean what you can before putting the cover back on, but now that it’s on, clean it slowly by using an oil (linked above) that works well for cleaning. Because it works well, the filter will get loaded up quickly. I’d change the filter every 1-2,000 while you clean it up.

See these threads:

You might as Dave @High Performance Lubricants what he recommends.

Your engine is awfully sludged up.

But HPL oils have done significant cleaning in already clean engines, and I believe they would help clean up yours as well. The base oils (which include Esters and Alkylated Napthalene) are part of why they clean so much better than other products.

Run this:

or this

change your filter often. I would’ve suggested that you clean what you can before putting the cover back on, but now that it’s on, clean it slowly by using an oil (linked above) that works well for cleaning. Because it works well, the filter will get loaded up quickly. I’d change the filter every 1-2,000 while you clean it up.

See these threads:

I have already manually cleaned up as much as I can.

130AF864-2D77-4E0A-91E3-092BCB2F7639.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would physically remove as much sludge as I could up top and then hope for the best. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable running an engine flush through something like that.

Do as many short intervals as your budget allows and your patience lasts.
I perhaps would consider using a dedicated flush product prior to the drain.

IIRC Redline is sold in the UK. It is advertised as having high ester content which will clean things up. Not cheap obviously because it's import.

Ravenol has a REP/RUP "Racing" oil which is LL04 and advertised to contain esters.

High Mileage oils (HM) may also help and might be cheaper.

Old old school would be to fill the engine with diesel fuel. Let it sit for a couple of days. DO NOT RUN ENGINE. Drain it.
Fill with cheap oil and new filter. Let it idle for 15-30 mins. Dump it.
Fill with your oil of choice (LL01/LL04) and a new filter.

No EGR and no DPF to worry about.

I have a e60 525d 2007 upon changing the valve cover gasket I was met with this sludge now I got the car in may 2021 and changed all fluids and it’s been running ok.

Is there anything I can do I’m hesitant on using engine flush.

As you can see in the pics it’s missed a few services.

Thanks.
That looks almost as bad as my Cadillac did.

201Right bank sludge.JPG

204Timing chains sludge.JPG

I would think regular engine oil in the recommended viscosity would work. Then drive it for a long road trip. Get the engine warmed up and allow lots of circulating oil to remove the sludge. Change the oil pretty frequently to help aid the process.

just my $0.02

Back