sludge 2005 pontiac vibe lk toyota corolla matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a family members car that was purchased used with 221K miles. It has the Toyota 1zz-fe engine. It ran good and the interior/exterior looked nice, as if it had been well cared for. The idle seemed a little rough so I changed the air intake gasket. That fixed the rough idle. While removing the intake I saw that the pcv valve and tube was caked with sludge.

I changed the oil/filter used 1 qt kerosene (left running between 10 minutes to 1/2 hour) a few times. I used cd2 detergent once then kerosene and changed the oil and used risolone and then added kerosene and changed the oil. I cut a couple of the filters open and while they had trapped some debris, it wasn't too bad. Last oil/filter change was at 222970.

I had some time a couple of days ago and removed the valve cover, miles were 222992. The valve cover, head and cams were covered in hardened burnt oil and sludge. I cleaned off as much as possible. I used a shop vac in one hand and a screw driver in the other to carefully remove the deposits and suck them up at the same time. after cleaning as much as I could I used a toothbrush with some kerosene. I used air to try and blow out as much gunk as I could that the vacuum missed. I added a quart of kerosene and put it back together. I started the car up and it ran for about 30 seconds and the oil pressure light came on. I stopped the car and decided the light came on due to sludge in the pan.

I pulled the pan and sure enough there was enough sludge to cover the pickup. I cleaned the pan. removed the pick up and cleaned it. I cleaned much of the sludge from the bottom end.

Everything was put back together. Filled with pyb and a fram ph3600. I started it up and no more low pressure light. It runs great. My plan is to run it about 2k miles. Then I will use Pennzoil platinum (because of price)and a fram xg3600 for a 5k mile oil change interval. I'll update next year at this time with pictures of the bottom end and under valve cover pics.

I would definitely say that the sludge was caused by improper maintenance. The pcv valve maintenance was ignored. I'll bet the oil change intervals probably weren't as recommended. I wish I had taken pictures before I used the kerosene.

Last edited:
I don't think it looks that bad considering the mileage on it. While it is def not a clean engine, all of the moving parts look decent. Using good quality fresh oil at reasonable intervals would clean that up over time. I had a 3800 once that was way worse, it had crust that basically sealed the heads with crud aside from room for the rockers to move and open drain holes. After 50k at 5k intervals with RT6 5w40 it cleaned itself up. I'm sure this vehicle appreciated the clean up though. Looking forward to the pics next year. Will it be driven much?

Who knows how often the oil was changed or what type used. LOL I'd really like to remove the pistons and see what kind of shape the rings are in. However, it is really running good right now and the threat of sludge clogging up the oil pickup tube pretty much taken care of I will leave well enough alone.

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
I don't think it looks that bad considering the mileage on it. While it is def not a clean engine, all of the moving parts look decent. Using good quality fresh oil at reasonable intervals would clean that up over time. I had a 3800 once that was way worse, it had crust that basically sealed the heads with crud aside from room for the rockers to move and open drain holes. After 50k at 5k intervals with RT6 5w40 it cleaned itself up. I'm sure this vehicle appreciated the clean up though. Looking forward to the pics next year. Will it be driven much?

The dirty pics are after several oil/filter changes and using kerosene and other additives. I have no way of knowing how much sludge that process cleaned out, I wish I has pictures. The car should see about 20k miles/yr.

You're serious? That looks atrocious. That engine is not known for being hard on oil, it shows some big time neglect.

I don't think it looks that bad considering the mileage on it.

Funny I just had the oil changed in my 05 Matrix today. MC 5w30 and filter for $20 with coupon at the Ford dealer and no appt. needed. Asked them to spray some battery protectant on the terminals also. Always get the same guy who does the work when I pull up to the 2nd door. 76k on the car.

We have a 08 matrix in our fleet as well.

Thing runs like an absolute sewing machine, perfect.

I have been taking it to the local shop and let them change the oil with napa semi synthetic and a napa filter.

25 dollars.

I just let them do a BG transmission flush and its shifting like a dream.

45k miles.

Oil changes are so cheap, I have no idea why people neglect basic maintenance like that.

Kerosene !

I' m all in favour of saving a $
But my thoughts are " that really is the bottom of the barrel"

Use some decent oil, run some short OCI's, use MMO for short intervals.

My gut says the Kerosene could do more harm than good.

That engine has been neglected. Run some short intervals with a high detergent oil like PU. Or you can go a little longer even, but change the filter half way.

We had a 2003 Vibe with the same engine. I don't remember the name of it exactly, but there is a really small "oil filter" (more like a screen - and it is really small) hidden behind a bolt on the front passenger side of the engine block. It is like a $6 part from the dealer and should be changed every 60k miles or so. You won't find it in the maintenance schedule. IIRC the bolt you need to take off is a 14mm head. I wish I could remember the exact name they called it. They should know at your dealer.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
You're serious? That looks atrocious. That engine is not known for being hard on oil, it shows some big time neglect.

I don't think it looks that bad considering the mileage on it.

IIRC:
Those were known to be quite hot running engines and don't tolerate extended OCI on conventional.

esp: 2005 era conventional vs now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
That engine has been neglected. Run some short intervals with a high detergent oil like PU. Or you can go a little longer even, but change the filter half way.

We had a 2003 Vibe with the same engine. I don't remember the name of it exactly, but there is a really small "oil filter" (more like a screen - and it is really small) hidden behind a bolt on the front passenger side of the engine block. It is like a $6 part from the dealer and should be changed every 60k miles or so. You won't find it in the maintenance schedule. IIRC the bolt you need to take off is a 14mm head. I wish I could remember the exact name they called it. They should know at your dealer.

I think that is a filter for the VVTi

Originally Posted By: kwikrnu

Yes it is, here is how to clean it: http://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22499-diy-info-some-uncommon-maintenance-items/

I have to disagree, that is bad considering any mileage. This shows neglect. I would stop using the kerosene however, a good OTC synthetic available at Walmart should clean things up nicely, PP comes to mind.

The car has over 200k miles on it and you feel the need to run kerosene through it, and scrape sludge off the valve covers with a screw driver and a shop vac? What exactly is it that you are trying to accomplish?

Good call on cleaning out the oil pan, and using a good cleaning oil (without additives IMO) on short intervals. I'd be inclined to do three or four 2k intervals before moving to 5k; give it a chance to clean slowly and well before extending.

Originally Posted By: expat
Kerosene !

I' m all in favour of saving a $
But my thoughts are " that really is the bottom of the barrel"

Use some decent oil, run some short OCI's, use MMO for short intervals.

My gut says the Kerosene could do more harm than good.

+1

Originally Posted By: kwikrnu

Totally worth clearning, its a simple remove the top alternator bolt and loosen the bottom one to swing the alternator out of the way, brake parts cleaner will make that VVTi screen as good as new, no need to buy one from the dealer unless it is damaged, also use brake parts cleaner to clean the VVTi solenoid as well. Your car should run much smoother, those 1ZZ-FE engines are amazing, clean up the engine with a good oil and they will run forever.

My rebuilt 1ZZ-FED runs like a champ.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
The car has over 200k miles on it and you feel the need to run kerosene through it, and scrape sludge off the valve covers with a screw driver and a shop vac? What exactly is it that you are trying to accomplish?

My personal opinion is that sludge is dangerous. It can build up and slough off causing an oil blockage at an inconvenient time. For example the car could be loaned to someone who does not pay attention to the low oil pressure dash warning light caused by sludge blocking the oil pick up. Sludge can block oil passages and starve bearings. I despise frequent oil changes and not knowing if the oil filter is full of sludge and in bypass or properly filtering the oil. I imagine this car could last another 100k miles or more though I'll never know because the speedometer stops working at 299999 miles.

Will kerosene kill the motor? I doubt it. Cause accelerated bearing wear? Probably, but I'll bet this engine makes it to 299,999 miles with ease even with the previous mistreatment and kerosene assisted cleaning.

I like these little Toyota engines. I was running 10K + mile ocis back in 2004 on a '03 corolla. Now with most of the big sludge removed I think 5k ocis are going to be no problem, but to be cautious I will change the current oil out at 225k as I said in the op. If the 5k change looks good at 230k I'll extend to 10K mi changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back