Slow Food Nation '08

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fairly large food event last week in front of San Francisco's city hall. Hard to shoot the food and produce due to the crowd. I loathe crowds.

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

I love NIMAN RANCH products. They were represented.

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

Plastic made from corn.

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

I was thirsty!

IMG_0677.jpg

When I was in the crowd, something bit me on the leg. I'm not sure what it was, but I did feel tiny teeth!

The weather was nice this past week. Sure looks like a big crowd there, looks similar to a farmers market. Did the plastic cup made from corn taste like corn?

I tried growing vegetables in my backyard but doesn't work too well. They usually end up very small or the plant does not produce any fruit.

will the corn plastic get soggy after a while? kinda like paper straws we get in the hippie food joint down here sometimes. (this is northern new south wales - lowest immunisation rate in the country fed by idiot hippies)

Originally Posted By: crinkles
will the corn plastic get soggy after a while?

No it won't get soggy or degrade rapidly or notably even over a long period. Just because it's a compostable plastic it doesn't mean it will degrade under conditions other than composting, which requires nearly 300°F and the presence of certain bacteria.

Sanyo has already shown optical discs made from bio-plastic. Mercedes and many other car makers have been using bio-degradable plastics or years with apparently (This claim needs to be further investigated!) no ill effect.

By the way, some plastics that are derived from plants are quite durable (depending on use) and do not deteriorate over time, for example the famous red CAB (cellulose acetate butyrate) handles of Swiss Army knives. Other bio-polymers like cellulose acetate (photographic "safety" film substrate/base) does break down over time, which is why most modern photographic film is made with a more stable polyester base.

Originally Posted By: moribundeswehrman
Mercedes and many other car makers have been using bio-degradable plastics or years with apparently (This claim needs to be further investigated!) no ill effect.
The bio-degradeable plastics used in the W140 S-class have been the cause of a great deal of wealth transfer between private owners and Mercedes technicians. (and Daimler-Benz AG)

Originally Posted By: moribundesbankman
Every gasket crumbles.

Thanks, Steve S. "Every gasket crumbles one day or another"

In this case we're talking about the wiring and its insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back