Slow Dosage of Intake Cleaner in GDI Engines

Originally Posted by benjy
my solution is buy NOTHING with DI. some manufacturers are using both + you are the beta tester!!! new tech is NOT always better IMO!!

New tech? DI has been around for at least 15 years! Use good oil, change it often and use Top Tier fuel and it won't be an issue.

My 2012 Mazda3 w/Skyactiv has 111,000 miles on it. I've been using microGreen filters and 30,000 mile OCIs for 100,000 of those miles (sadly, MG is out of business). Driveability is the same as always and the average fuel economy is up 2 mpg since around 90,000 miles. I've been using E15 whenever I can. I guess I'm livin' on the edge.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Originally Posted by benjy
my solution is buy NOTHING with DI. some manufacturers are using both + you are the beta tester!!! new tech is NOT always better IMO!!

New tech? DI has been around for at least 15 years! Use good oil, change it often and use Top Tier fuel and it won't be an issue.

Bingo - Yahtzee - Kismet.

I suppose worst case scenario with GDI engines is you wait until you need to pop the intake manifold off, like you have to do with so many engines these days to change spark plugs.

That should at least allow you to peek at the intake valves and decide if they need a manual cleaning or not.

None of these spray cans of goodness are going to do anything for you once a bit of intake valve build up has occurred.

The only way I can maybe see them working is if you used something like CRC intake valve cleaner very early on, like at 12-15K miles and then once or twice a year thereafter.

some vehicles do better than others with DI only, but without DI theres NO issues + if needed injectors are $$$$$$, simple is better IMO + for my $$

Originally Posted by Al
There are so many things to worry about than whether or not your valves will carbon up. I always buy a discounted extended warranty =- I could care less. Life is just to darn short.

You can't rely on an extended warranty for this. If they don't already, sooner or later they will start excluding intake valve cleaning as normal maintenance on GDI engines.

Bringing this back to life... Has anyone used the top end oiler (or similar device) on any modern GDI engine? Wouldn't mind that option in our 2013 VW Tiguan, as it has 150k miles, and I feel like a spray of maybe MMO&Seafoam mix in front of the valves could clean them up a bit... Or would a standard water injection kit do the same?

Originally Posted by Danh
Isn't there a general caution about using products like this with turbocharged engines like the OP's? I thought the concern was carbon bits breaking off and potentially damaging the turbocharger exhaust gases are powering.

That's what I thought. My Ford dealer says they do BG44 cleaning to clean intake valves all the time on turbo DI engines and have never had a problem.

Back