SLOB, how much to use??

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much slob do you guy's recomend in;

a 4.5qt. sump

and a 5qt. sump

i've been putting a hole bottle in,i think it's ok for
the 5qt sump but is it to much for the 4.5??

should i go down to 1/2 a bottle in the 4.5??

just don't want to over do it with the Zinc

i use 5 and 10w-30 Mobil-1 syn.

Whole bottle is the way to go. On a 4.5 quart sump, the last 0.5 qt is the SLOB. If you have SM you will boost it from 700 ppm zinc and phos to 1150 ppm, which is good.

I have a 6 quart sump on two vehicles and will need 1.5 bottles. Guess I better hit Big Lots and load up some more.

The SM oils seem to produce pretty good UOAs without additives. Since this SLOB has variable pricing depending on location, add whatever dose you think is cost effective. IMO, 2-3 ounces per each quart is plenty. I'd only consider 4 oz per quart if the oil is considered weak or if the engine is a known oil killer.

Quote:

The SM oils seem to produce pretty good UOAs without additives. Since this SLOB has variable pricing depending on location, add whatever dose you think is cost effective. IMO, 2-3 ounces per each quart is plenty. I'd only consider 4 oz per quart if the oil is considered weak or if the engine is a known oil killer.

I'm certainly in the "oil killer" camp!
frown.gif

If you use Mobil 1 why do need SLOB or any other additive? Why not go up a grade if you shear the oil towards the end of OCI?
confused.gif

Also I have yet to see SLOB anywhere in NC. Is it widely available? Please educate me.

Quote:

If you use Mobil 1 why do need SLOB or any other additive? Why not go up a grade if you shear the oil towards the end of OCI?
confused.gif

Also I have yet to see SLOB anywhere in NC. Is it widely available? Please educate me.

I like to use a little because i don't have a FULL
roller valve train(only lifters are roller)in the GT, and in my
SBC plow truck that's a flat tappet system.

gives extra zink and phosphorus that todays SM oils
are lacking.
i mainly use it in the truck not so much in the cars.

slob can be found at Big lots stores,
should be widely available if you have a BL store by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back