Slip Yoke Plug Leaking

In the middle of a TKX installation for the 66, I temp installed a new yoke so I could service the ATF and get the trans in the car. Today I went to pull the yoke, in preparation of having the driveshaft shortened next week, when I noticed a drop of fluid coming from the plug. I verified the leak using compressed air from the spline end. First time I've ever seen one leak. Is there a common fix for this? I figure the driveline shop could probably weld the plug in place or have another way of sealing it. They're closed till Tuesday.

Attachments

• sl2.jpg
    sl2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 84
  • sl1.jpg
    sl1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 84
Ask the pros at the driveline shop. I’ve had to replace 2 from the plug getting pushed out and leaking on my F150. Due to off road abuse. I don’t know why it happens, bad design? It shouldn’t bottom out and pop the cap, it’s a stock driveshaft.

It is difficult for me to tell from the photo, but if the plug is convex with the dome pointed outward, it is a Welch plug. A Welch plug is seated by being struck on the dome which expands the plug's circumference.

Took the driveshaft and new parts to the shop today. They welded the plug in place, shortened and balanced the driveshaft. They said they've welded more than a few yokes over the years without issue.

That seems to be a somewhat common issue...Even with new parts from reputable companies like Neapco, Spicer, & AAM. Some slip yoke bore plugs are epoxied in place....I make the mistake of trying to weld one up....What a mess as I didn't know about the epoxy 'til it was too late. I know now to heat it with the torch before attempting to weld it.

Ask the pros at the driveline shop. I’ve had to replace 2 from the plug getting pushed out and leaking on my F150. Due to off road abuse. I don’t know why it happens, bad design? It shouldn’t bottom out and pop the cap, it’s a stock driveshaft.

The Yoke is bottoming out on the Output Shaft & pushing the plug out. That's better than tearing up the T-case.

If the Bump Stops for the differential are good, The differential is still located on it's dowels, And the Powertrain wasn't slid back (Trans crossmember is slotted).....You may very well need a little shorter shaft, While it's rare to have this happen on a stock vehicle, It's not unheard of.

The Yoke is bottoming out on the Output Shaft & pushing the plug out. That's better than tearing up the T-case.

If the Bump Stops for the differential are good, The differential is still located on it's dowels, And the Powertrain wasn't slid back (Trans crossmember is slotted).....You may very well need a little shorter shaft, While it's rare to have this happen on a stock vehicle, It's not unheard of.
I put some extended bump stops on it. I don’t think anything slid back. The motor was swapped under warranty like 18 years ago. Maybe they messed something up then? The rear diff was also changed a while back but since then the truck has been on light/weekend duty and hasn’t had any trouble. I wouldn’t be surprised if it has the wrong driveshaft. I’ve had every single problem that “effects a small number” on this truck.

Back