Slightly Used F150 Vehicle Acquisition

So- I purchased a 2020 Ford F-150 Lariat w/ the 3.5 Ecoboost, Sport appearance package, MAX trailer tow package, and FX4 off road package. In addition to what is standard in this level such as leather, dual climate, push button start, and all the safety suite,etc. Used millage is 26,600. Still has balance of factory bumper to bumper and the power train goes out until 60,000.
Congrats! Nice truck! I want one!

Use 5000 mile OCI's. And if you are in a warm climate, choose an oil with a good viscosity and good HTHS. These engines go 400K no problem with good service. Or not even 100K with extended OCI's. The reason is simple, circulating contaminated oil wears out the chains and phasers. And by 4500 miles, the oil is plenty contaminated. Even the new and revised 3.5 does contaminate the oil with particulates, fuel and evaporated fuel byproducts.

Also, consider a tune from 5 Star. You may not need race-car performance, but the tune removes the top speed limiter, improves throttle response and greatly improves mid range power, where you need it most. The tune also removes the absurd way Ford moves the throttle plate around during part throttle acceleration, leading to a much nicer feel. As you probably already know Ford tunes this engine for 450HP.

My 3.5 gets 21mpg driven conservatively.

Last edited:
The XLT Sport appearance package looks so good in white. Tbh I’ve not seen many white 18-20 F150s without chrome bumpers.

You can do a ton of BCM editing with Forscan on these gen trucks.

Beautiful truck! I'm a sucker for white on black regardless of vehicle.

The only change I'd make: swap the 3.5 for the Coyote. No shade to the EB, I'm just the type to stick to the "no replacement for displacement" mantra. Regardless, congrats on the new ride!

Reactions: CKN
What kind of filters you think you’re gonna run on the new rig? I probably have bunch of FL500S that I’d send off for a super fair $.

One thing to keep in mind if anyone here might buy an F150 and plans on towing is the mirrors.

Ford does offer tow mirrors on the F150.
This is my brothers 2019 F150. He had a difficult time finding this truck: Tow mirrors and a 6.5' bed instead of the more common 5.5' bed super crew combo.

full-55018-41302-ford_truck.jpg

Good luck with the new truck, will be interested to hear how it tows compared to the Silverado. With that much white paint out front you might think about chip guard tape to protect it. A friend in Pa had it applied to his '18 Silverado and it still looks new. Sharp truck.

oh look it the guy that thinks he's being helpful. then the op has the nerve to like your post, when you contributed nothing to the conversation. i wasn't trying to rain on your parade, i was just giving you imo solid advice on what to expect. the phasers will start to rattle and when they do, you should know to look for updated parts to actually fix your vehicle.

I can't make any sense of the statements above. Far from lucid. It's not my parade you cast rain showers upon and it ain't me your offering advice to. It's the OP you mention in the second statement yet seemed to quickly forget. Please, find the ignore button and put me on it.

One thing to keep in mind if anyone here might buy an F150 and plans on towing is the mirrors.

This is my brothers 2019 F150. He had a difficult time finding this truck: Tow mirrors and a 6.5' bed instead of the more common 5.5' bed super crew combo.

View attachment 118882

You are 100% correct on that. I looked into adding tow mirrors and wanted to run a pair from F250 but $$ and not worth it for the limited towing I do. I always wondered why this wasn't a more prevalant option on all models.

oh look it the guy that thinks he's being helpful. then the op has the nerve to like your post, when you contributed nothing to the conversation. i wasn't trying to rain on your parade, i was just giving you imo solid advice on what to expect. the phasers will start to rattle and when they do, you should know to look for updated parts to actually fix your vehicle.
For what it's worth, I didn't take your comment about the phasers as trying to rain on OP's parade. It's good info on things to look out for. Every vehicle model has its own common failure points, and BITOG seems like an appropriate place to discuss this.

Anywho, I wasn't aware to keep the cam phasers on the 3.5 in mind, so I appreciate your input.

Ford will 100% cover the repairs up to 70,000 miles-then it's pro rated. I have never kept a truck that long-but it's good to have them acknowledge the issue-it's not something Ford has been too terribly good at in the past. The 3.5's have a fairly solid reputation-they need to be concerned not to tarnish that.

Please report back OC mileage, oil used, and filter if you don't mind. I'm a believer in 5k with any synthetic meeting spec and a decent filter with the Eco's. Some guys do well on extended runs and UOA's don't show high % fuel dilution while others have some much higher fuel dilution at lower runs. Yours has DI and MP injection correct?

View attachment 118882
Even though I will tow with the truck tow mirrors will not fit in the garage. The RAM was crossed off my list exactly because of the mirrors. Also need a model that had power fold, thus the Lariat.

Nice truck! I had a 2016 that I put 90k miles on and enjoyed every one of them. The guy that got the truck after me says it now has 160k miles on it and purrs like a kitten.

If not for the stupid price of trucks, the lack of a trade in car, and the rise in fuel prices, I too would have bought one. I got 19 mpg easily and got 21 to 22 mpg on occasion. With the 36 gallon tank, I once drove from Fargo ND to Ames IA with only a single restroom/food stop and still drove a couple days after getting there before filling up.

I agree with others on the 5000 mile OCI’s. Otherwise, enjoy it!

Reactions: CKN
Back