Slightly off topic - catch can goop analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per title, have any of you sent away a sample of the horrible goop in the bottom of your catch can for analysis?

Im wondering if any labs offer this service, and if it would help me with trending analysis when used in conjunction with a regular UOA?
Discuss..

i was thinking of three oci with the catchcan, and three oci recirculating to the inlet using the same oil/filter every time.

i thought it might help me to decide which is better for oil life and sludge formation, plus i'd like to know exactly what gunk i'll be cleaning out of my carbs every oci if i leave it.connected versus what i'm keeping out (with the side erfect of potentially better cleanliness) if i leave it vented.

A lot of guys on here know a lot more than i do so i was kinda hoping for people who can talk from experience, and any science/tech dudes who can point me to certain studies and papers, or make educated guesses.

tryna stimulate conversation and satisfy my curiosity..

I have a 2013 F-150 FX2 5.0L, I have a UPR oil separator on it. Once I collect enough I will be sending a sample to Blackstone to see what exactly it is. Mine appears to be just oil but with a heavy oil smell to it. No real goo, I have only had it installed a few months which has only been in the summer months, come winter if I start getting more condensation/milk I'll be sending another sample to have that tested as well.

Wayne

I run an oil catch can on my 2014 Mustang GT and on my fiancee's 2007 Mustang GT and the only thing either of them have ever had in them was oil. No build up of any kind.

Z7what,
I used to run a UPR catch can on my 14 GT with the 5.0 and found that while it caught a good amount of oil, the line at my intake was still very wet with oil. This was the billet UPR can. I now run a Bob's Auto Sports can on the mustang.

I'm still running the UPR can on my fiancee's car and it still shows a lot of oil in the line at the intake so it's not doing it's job very well. She doesn't want to spend any more money on a can so it stays on. I guess some oil getting caught is better than none.

UPR has now come out with some supposedly new designs that are more efficient than their old style but they are quite a bit more expensive.

I suggest that you check the line that enters your intake to see if you have any oil getting past the can.

Wayne

Last edited:
There is oil,fuel and water and what ever else [blow by] vapor from the crankcase in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back