Slightly dented CVT warmer filter

My HR-V has two CVT Filters, one underneath the oil pan and the other for the warmer underneath the hood.

Planning on changing them both but the warmer filter has a slightly dented metal pillar.

Other than that, it looks good.

Can it still be used or should I get a replacement? Was ordered online so exchanging won't be easy.

IMG_7153.jpg

hard to get in photo but you can see the metal pillar has a minor dent and is slanted towards the bottom

vs perfectly straight in a stock photo
996785a52788961cbd72c3dbd01fb0ee.jpeg

yeah, the photo was mildly terrible. sorry guys.

it does look like a crimp now that it's been taken out of the package.

called it a metal pillar as it seems to support the filter material.

will use it. thanks for the help.

IMG_7157.jpg

IMG_7158.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

I assume there's a metal perforated tube down the center of the filter. That being the case, the end caps will be held to the proper alignment / dimensions I'd image. I'd compare the old to the new and use it if all is well.

My HR-V has two CVT Filters, one underneath the oil pan and the other for the warmer underneath the hood.

Planning on changing them both but the warmer filter has a slightly dented metal pillar.

Other than that, it looks good.

Can it still be used or should I get a replacement? Was ordered online so exchanging won't be easy.

View attachment 126644
hard to get in photo but you can see the metal pillar has a minor dent and is slanted towards the bottom

vs perfectly straight in a stock photo
View attachment 126645
Just curious. I have a 21 HRV Sport...What year is yours??? So there are two filter for the HRC CVT??? How many likes on it before you decided to change them...Is it a hard job to do???

Just curious. I have a 21 HRV Sport...What year is yours??? So there are two filter for the HRC CVT??? How many likes on it before you decided to change them...Is it a hard job to do???

2016 but even though yours was refreshed, the hardware underneath is the same.

Yep, there are two filters.

This is the second time it's being changed and I'm at 114,000miles.

Procedure is the same as this video:

Thanks

I assume there's a metal perforated tube down the center of the filter. That being the case, the end caps will be held to the proper alignment / dimensions I'd image. I'd compare the old to the new and use it if all is well.

There is - thanks for putting my mind at ease.

IMG_7165.jpg

Thanks for posting... I can handle that when the time comes....Do the o rings come with the new filter for the filter and the housing or did you purchase them separately??

Thanks for posting... I can handle that when the time comes....Do the o rings come with the new filter for the filter and the housing or did you purchase them separately??

no, the o-rings are all separate.

there are 4 aftermarket filters on rockauto that do come with the o-rings but I decided it's best to buy OEM.

Here are the part numbers for the 3 o-rings:
91303-5T0-003
91302-5T0-003
91305-PN4-003

Not sure how much you spent between the filter and orings from Honda, but I've used the $7 Beck Arnley part that includes the orings with never an issue.

I've got trust issues when it's not made by an OEM

I see Aisin makes this part for the Asian market. If they offered it for our market, I wouldn't hesitate.

IMG_7175.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
I've got trust issues when it's not made by an OEM
I do too, to a point. Price point that is. Especially on a non-moving not machined part. Beck Arnley often repackages OEM parts, and even then, it's pretty hard to make a bad filter. $7 vs. $30 for something out of warranty and I'll take a chance.

I do too, to a point. Price point that is. Especially on a non-moving not machined part. Beck Arnley often repackages OEM parts, and even then, it's pretty hard to make a bad filter. $7 vs. $30 for something out of warranty and I'll take a chance.

You're right, they do often repackage OEM parts but in this case - it looks to be a high quality replica.

Can this factory be trusted when it comes to quality control? If we looked at the filter medium under a microscope, would they be similar?

Chances are I'm overthinking but OEM gives confidence, especially when you're out of warranty.

The dealer pricing is marked up to an unreasonable degree but there are ways to save.

Here are all the parts needed for both CVT filters:

Dealer pricing:
Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 11.46.28 AM.png

If ordered from a Japanese reseller:

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 11.48.41 AM.png

Just like rockauto, you have to play around with the shipping as anything large will be considered volumetric weight.

The oil pan gasket might significantly bring up the cost of shipping (~$65) but if removed, shipping should be reasonable (under ~$40).

The Beck / Arnley only comes with two o-rings. What about the third? With OEM, you get it done right the first time.

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 12.01.18 PM.png

It's been a while so I don't recall a 3rd o-ring, which unless is somehow damaged, I'd probably reuse or pick one up from the dealer for a few bucks. I think I paid less than $25 for all those similar parts on my older Hondas. To each his own but $25 vs. $150 means I can do a fluid and filter change six times as often for the same price so the durability of the filters isn't as critical if you change them every 20,000 miles vs. every 60K.

191Transmission filters.JPG

I think I paid less than $25 for all those similar parts on my older Hondas. To each his own but $25 vs. $150 means I can do a fluid and filter change six times as often for the same price so the durability of the filters isn't as critical if you change them every 20,000 miles vs. every 60K.

So clean!

I agree with everything you said and I like that interval.

If most people do change it, they'll probably only change the fluid and not even bother with the filters.

I can't get any of my friends with CVTs to change their fluid and it seems like that attitude is the norm.

In Asia, changing the fluid is part of regular maintenance and most recommend changing the filters at the same time. The fluid change is every 25,000miles if I'm not mistaken so your 20k interval is proactive.

Last edited:
It's been a while so I don't recall a 3rd o-ring, which unless is somehow damaged, I'd probably reuse or pick one up from the dealer for a few bucks.

This is the 3rd o-ring. The other two are the one next to it and the one that goes on the filter itself.
Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 12.41.44 PM.jpg

Back