Slight white smoke from oil fill hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this normal? I went poking around the engine bay today and removed the oil fill cap (which is not on the valve/cam covers directly but on a neck that leads to the covers). I noticed a small amount of whispy white smoke coming from the hole. Is this normal? I rarely have to top off and the car is in good health. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If you just shut the engine off, it's normal in my experience. Every engine I've owned will do that.

+1. I've seen it before too. Nothing to worry about. Remember too that your engine internals, assuming your engine was just running, is MUCH hotter than the ambient air, so you may see odd things as those two "atmospheres" come together.

BACK AS FAR AWAY as possible your car is about to blowup....naw IM jk like everyone said its normal inside gets hot and realeasing the cap lets the smoke out

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Remember too that your engine internals, assuming your engine was just running, is MUCH hotter than the ambient air, so you may see odd things as those two "atmospheres" come together.

Mostly it's a oil vapor/smoke combination from blowby, the ambient temp really has nothing to do with it... A small amount is normal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back