Slight scratches in varnished oak flooring

I have some very minor scratches in normal varnished oak flooring. Probably a grain of sand was caught on chair leg as I pulled chair out. Chair does have plastic protectors on chair legs. I assume scratch is in the varnish layer and not wood layer. Was thinking I could just lightly sand with fine sand paper the one section and then put down some varnish with a wide sponge brush.

Anyone tried something like this approach for minor scratches?

I really doubt you have varnish unless you know for sure.
Do you have site finished wood or prefinished?
More likely polyurethane or water based finish if site finished.
If prefinished check the manufactures recommendations for touch up, they use a proprietary finish most likely with aluminum oxide in it.
Make sure you know what finish you have before doing a touch up.

Measureman beat me to it. Are you absolutely sure it is varnish and not a polyurethane? I would try a good paste wax and buffing. If that did not work you can strip the wax and try your touch up, but do not mix components such as varnish over poly or poly over varnish.

I really doubt you have varnish unless you know for sure.
Do you have site finished wood or prefinished?
More likely polyurethane or water based finish if site finished.
If prefinished check the manufactures recommendations for touch up, they use a proprietary finish most likely with aluminum oxide in it.
Make sure you know what finish you have before doing a touch up.
Ok I used varnish generically. It's polyurethane I would guess. Not prefinished.

Back