slight popping over bumps with brakes apllied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I've been noticing for a while now that whenever I have the brakes applied and go over a bump it feeling like something is loose. I'll feel a slight pop in the brake pedal especially if I'm turning right and am on the brake pedal. Also I can sit still and have the brakes applied and turning the steering wheel back and forth slightly and I also feel it in the pedal. It hasn't really gotten any worse and I would say the average joe wouldn't notice it. I looked under the dash and the only thing I see attached to the pedal is the steering shaft. Any ideas?

I was going to suggest ABS until I read more closely. My Silverado's ABS is really touchy and will activate over bumpy spots like railroad tracks and washboards.

The part about standing still has me stumped, though. Is the steering column loose, which might let it rub the pedal arm at certain times?

I'm thinking the caliper might be loose. My brother had a Buick that one of the caliper bolts came off - not fun.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm thinking the caliper might be loose. My brother had a Buick that one of the caliper bolts came off - not fun.

Same here. Should be quick and easy to check.

You mean the two bolts that the calipers slide back and forth on? Those are just run down until they bottom out right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
You mean the two bolts that the calipers slide back and forth on? Those are just run down until they bottom out right?

No, the caliper bolts that mount the caliper to the spindle (or whatever they mount to in your case)

Noises when braking and turning often mean you need new sway bar links. You would also have to check the rest of the suspension.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Nope! I mean the ears on the pads aren't wide enough and they shift back and forth in the bracket in the direction that the wheel spins. It's usually on aftermarket pads. I"m sure you have tried installing pads and the ears are oversize to fit in the bracket and you have to grind them down to fit. Well the ears on yours may be undersize and once you apply the brakes the pad moves with the rotor until it bracket stops it. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I'll check all the bolts tomorrow. It's dark now. I think their are two caliper mounting bracket bolts then two bolts that mount the caliper to the bracket itself. I just don't want to tighten something i'm not supposed to and have something get messed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used OEM pads when I changed them probably 6 months ago and didn't notice any problems. btw I never thought about the anti sway bar links. I noticed the rubber boots were cracked and they've been like that for probably three years. Maybe it's finally starting to cause a problem.

First guess is sway bar links like others have mentioned. If the bushings are shot you will definitely get clunking or a thud when turning the wheel, even when stopped.

Ok guys, I checked the brakes and everything is tight. Both the mounting bracket and caliper bolts. It does look like the rubber boots on the bottom part of the swaybar links are cracked. That's the only thing I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back