Slide rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I apologize. It wasn't Sy that called out the "GO" to the 1201/1202 alarms, It was Steve Bales. I knew that didn't sound right but I couldn't figure out why before the edit lock.

And to be precise (while I'm making corrections), they weren't "executive overload" alarms, they were "executive overflow" alarms.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Armstrong having to fly the LEM was not due to the computer overload, it was due to the pre-programmed landing area being filled with boulders "the size of houses". The computer was still quite able to perform the required functions despite being overloaded by the rendezvous radar. The executive overload alarms, although annoying and distracting were not dangerous to the mission - correctly called out by Sy Liebergot.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
...and the computer in the LEM flaked out when it suffered task overload and Armstrong had to fly the thing manually to a safe landing before running out of the descent fuel needed for braking, as they very nearly did.

This is one my late dad bought for me on a business trip to the 1960s USSR. It looks like it's made of celluloid laminated onto wood.

I still have my Aristo slide rule which I used in my final exam for Physics 101 in 1975. I was the only student in the class who used one although there were 2 other students who used calculators (which were very expensive back then). I finished way ahead of the other students and I felt pretty smug and pleased with myself.

When I was a high school senior, we envied the few classmates who had the "souped up" slide rules with a lot more functions than what the rest of the class were using. The best quality slide rules were made of bamboo, believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back