Sleep mode?

My machine goes quiet and all the lights turn off. Turns back on very quickly.

My first thought on reading this was "I'll never have that new fangled start/stop in my PC!" :cool:

I'm not sure what goes on in the background but I've gotten to where I expect my PC to come alive nearly instantly. Gotta love solid state drives.

Sleep mode ... best way to fire up the computer quickly just like it was never shutdown. Been using it forever. Only time I need to reboot is when I have to for some reason (updates or computer was acting strange). Sleep mode also allows computers with hard drives to come up fast ... so even more useful on older machines that use a hard drive.

If my hard drive shuts down in sleep mode, how is the computer able to come out of Sleep mode in ~ 1 second? That doesn't sound correct to me. Ed

If my hard drive shuts down in sleep mode, how is the computer able to come out of Sleep mode in ~ 1 second? That doesn't sound correct to me. Ed
Is it a SSD or mechanical drive? SSD is very fast.

If your system has an SSD then it would instantly come on as the rest of the computer comes out of standby. Depending on the system the computer may or may not become responsive until the hard drive fully spins up.

Your ram is still powered, so your CPU only wakes up and then everything is still in the RAM. This is same as when your HD spin down when you are not reading it and your mouse cursor and keyboard and graphics and network still function.

A hard drive can spin up in less than 3 seconds - but nothing is needed off the HD anyway when waking up from sleep mode. As said above, in sleep mode the RAM is still loaded exactly like it was when the computer was put to sleep - so nothing needs to be loaded off the HD to RAM, it's already loaded. Apparently you've never tried out using sleep mode - try it.

And FYI, there is a difference between "sleep" and "hiberation". Hibernation is slow compared to sleep, but hibernation doesn't require constant power to the computer RAM. Hibernation writes what was in the RAM to the HD or SSD before powering off. If you lose power while in sleep mode, you lose what was in RAM, then the computer will need to be booted from scratch.

Last edited:
Back