SL vs SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
21.gif
Not for my application.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Less phos and zinc.

SL provides beter protection right Johnny?

Im some applications(flat tappet/higher wearing engines) YES.

so if I had a choice, for the same price, and a normal engine, should I buy the SL or the SM (this is a real choice, because my
WalMart carries 21 quart pails of SL 5w20)

Originally Posted By: tuckman
21.gif
Not for my application.

May I inquire, what application is that for?

Two Honda Elements and one Mercury Grand Marquis.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: FastSUV
SL provides beter protection right Johnny?

Im some applications(flat tappet/higher wearing engines) YES.

Indeed.

Just to stress, though: Those are the only cases in which you want SL over SM. Otherwise, SM is great.

Assuming a vehicle isn't equipped with a strict emission control system (i.e. no catalytic converter, etc.), would an API SL oil be a better choice?

And although off topic, what's the difference between SL and SJ? I find it confusing that the newer oils have lower amounts of anti-wear additives than their predecessors - which I suppose is mainly for CAFE purposes? How do they make up for the reduced amounts of these additives, increase friction modifiers?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Assuming a vehicle isn't equipped with a strict emission control system (i.e. no catalytic converter, etc.), would an API SL oil be a better choice?

IF your car truck has none of that OR your not worried because
your car doesn't use oil yea one can use it,SL has higher amounts
of Zinc,calcium,phos so in theory it will provide better wear control.

But newer cars of today have roller valve trains so a SL isn't as needed so bad.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

And although off topic, what's the difference between SL and SJ? I find it confusing that the newer oils have lower amounts of anti-wear additives than their predecessors - which I suppose is mainly for CAFE purposes? How do they make up for the reduced amounts of these additives, increase friction modifiers?
21.gif

The difference in SL and SM is for emissions, not cafe. They use other additives to make up for the phos and zinc, like boron and magnesium. Most of the older SJ rated oils were made with Group I base stocks and I would not want to back to that.

Originally Posted By: tuckman
21.gif
Not for my application.

May I inquire, what application is that for?

Two Honda Elements and one Mercury Grand Marquis.

Mercury Grand Marqui.Hey Johnny,you drive a cop car!!! Eh,hahahaha.That Rules!!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back