Skyactiv 2.5L GDI; RP 0w-20 20k; LiquiMoly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Originally Posted by paoester
Also there is Castrol gold jug...good for 20,000 miles and also passes the tough Mercedes 0w20 performance tests as a stamp of approval.
Which Mercedes stamp of approval?

Very peculiar for Castrol to hide the fact that EP, SuperCar, & vanilla C5, are all 229.71. Mercedes has all three on their official list: https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.71_en.html

I thought that's probably what you were looking at. That list does not refer to American-market Edge, according to Castrol.

I've talked with Castrol in depth on this topic, both over the phone (with holds while additional people were asked) and multiple times via email, the latest of which came back either yesterday or today. Castrol has no consumer-market MB 229.71 oils in America. Certain of their Edge bottles _used to say_ C5 on them, but that's now gone, too.

Last edited:
oils for germany must be real synthetic others NOT so much!! from reading oils imported to USA only need be up to USA standards meaning just enough costlier real synthetic base oils are use to meet a spec otherwise its the cheaper group III refined crude base oil!

I thought that's probably what you were looking at. That list does not refer to American-market Edge, according to Castrol.

I've talked with Castrol in depth on this topic, both over the phone (with holds while additional people were asked) and multiple times via email, the latest of which came back either yesterday or today. Castrol has no consumer-market MB 229.71 oils in America. Certain of their Edge bottles _used to say_ C5 on them, but that's now gone, too.

This subject came up in another thread a while back. Thing is, there is no "Castrol Edge Extended Performance" sold in Europe. That name only applies to N. America. Not on shelves in Europe. ......
As for SuperCar and C5, both of those are available in Europe, and neither of them say 229.71 on the spec sheets and/or bottles/jug labels either.
So it appears Castrol is not in the habit of placing "229.71" on their labels or spec sheets at all. If the bevo list has it, then Mercedes is on board with it.

I think its because they market so many "Professional OE" ones for specific manufacturer specs, something to do with that, possibly.

Phone techs will only have access to company documents, about the same as we do looking up PDS's on the web.

Castrol directs people to a competitor's product if they need an MB 229.71 fluid. Apparently everyone still gets to do whatever they like (as always).

I assume the Moly additive is what boosted the TBN to still be at 4.3 after 20,000 miles? Bravo by the way. I have a 2.0L Skyactive Engine that I change around 7K miles but I do very little highway driving anymore since moving departments at work.

They've removed things from the labels recently. They removed ACEA C5, for example, from all the EDGE labels I've found.

They've removed things from the labels recently. They removed ACEA C5, for example, from all the EDGE labels I've found.

Well maybe it isn't the good stuff anymore you know all that cheaper down graded stuff they special make for Walmart customers only LOL
crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back