SKP makes iridium spark plugs for that stupid Ford 3V application

Ford made 3-valve V8's in the mid 2000s with this stupid 2-piece spark plug design that is prone to breakage when you try to remove them. The ground is just a big loop over the center electrode, and unfortunately, they are only [platinum, not iridium, so they don't last as long as they could, and they're made by Autolite, which isn't the best. They were installed on F-series/F150/F250/Super Duty trucks, and another version on the Mustang and Explorer.

Champion makes a one-piece plug for these engines, but again, only platinum, not iridium, and they're even worse than the OE Autolites :mad:

Bosch, Denso, and NGK won't even touch these, and I can't blame them :sneaky:

But now, SKP has iridium spark plugs for these Fords. Iridium should last much longer than platinum, so you won't have to worry about broken spark plugs for a long time. If you're lucky, either the truck will rust before you have to replace them again, or better yet, real spark plugs will finally become available :D

While SKP isn't the best, they can't be worse than Autolite and Champion :unsure:

So, has anybody here tried the SKP iridium on a 3V Ford?

Here is a picture:
983_SP1002_putaway_1__ra_p.jpg

Ford made 3-valve V8's in the mid 2000s with this stupid 2-piece spark plug design that is prone to breakage when you try to remove them. The ground is just a big loop over the center electrode, and unfortunately, they are only [platinum, not iridium, so they don't last as long as they could, and they're made by Autolite, which isn't the best. They were installed on F-series/F150/F250/Super Duty trucks, and another version on the Mustang and Explorer.

Champion makes a one-piece plug for these engines, but again, only platinum, not iridium, and they're even worse than the OE Autolites :mad:

Bosch, Denso, and NGK won't even touch these, and I can't blame them :sneaky:

But now, SKP has iridium spark plugs for these Fords. Iridium should last much longer than platinum, so you won't have to worry about broken spark plugs for a long time. If you're lucky, either the truck will rust before you have to replace them again, or better yet, real spark plugs will finally become available :D

While SKP isn't the best, they can't be worse than Autolite and Champion :unsure:

So, has anybody here tried the SKP iridium on a 3V Ford?

Here is a picture:
983_SP1002_putaway_1__ra_p.jpg
It seems these SKP parts are the lowest of the low white box crap. I wouldn't put those in a lawnmower. check out the LCA from SKP.

I’ve never had a problem taking out any but the OE plugs. The heat range was allegedly changed on the Motorcrafts to prevent the carbon build up.

Also by taking them out with an impact on a warm engine I think I’ve only ever broke one. Before I was told to try that it was rough going though.

I’ve never had a problem taking out any but the OE plugs. The heat range was allegedly changed on the Motorcrafts to prevent the carbon build up.

Also by taking them out with an impact on a warm engine I think I’ve only ever broke one. Before I was told to try that it was rough going though.

This I didn't know! :cool:

Too bad Autolite doesn't have a defined part numbering system like the others do where you can get the heat range from :unsure:
(the long part numbers NGK, Denso, Bosch, and Champion all have--even Torch has a structured part numbering system)

Just because they say, "Iridium" doesn't mean that they're better...

"Iridium" is the new "Turbo" - if the product has the word in the title, it must be super, laser, boosted, awesome!

Don't forget 'ceramic', I'm surprised that no one has figured out a way to blow that word up for marketing spark plugs. 'Laser Irridium with Nanotech Technology Ceramic Insulation!!!'

I’m personally a fan of Autolite but for this application I feel Motorcraft is the best thing to get. When I done my friends plugs in one he originally purchased NGK plugs but they were incorrect so he had to go back and ended up getting Motorcraft. I’ve done a few on these engines and I’ve broken some too. My method was loosen a bit spray penetrating oil, tighten a little, loosen a little more until they are out. Then put some anti seize on for all of them on the installation of new ones. Anything with the SKP name on it I’ll pass. I’ve used it and have not had any luck.

They're a good plug, but we're talking Ford 3v stuff here and they don't offer one for it.

There are few options for the early 3Vs from start of production in 2004 to mid 2008.

The plugs were redesigned mid year in 2008. NGK offers 3 different plugs for the later 5.4 3V from mid-2008 on to the end of production - a single platinum (1698), a double platinum (5507) and an iridium (372). This is the engine that I have.

I don't know if the later plugs can be used in the earlier engine. The coil boot is longer on the later engines, so if it were possible, you'd also have to change the coil boot to accommodate the slightly shorter later plug.

Yeah, the 08ish and up 3v takes a different plug, but it's a 12mm thread and the older 3v takes a 14mm, and that's the one I was referring to and the one that is the subject of this thread.

If you change the original 2 piece plugs and replaced them properly (using the Motorcraft or Champion once piece plugs with nickel anti-seize on the barrel) you should have no further issue with changing plugs in the future.
I would hope by now all the '04-07 5.4 3v (the '08+ do not have as bad an issue) have had their original two piece plugs removed and new one piece plugs correctly installed.
If the owner has not replaced the plugs in 15-17 years, they probably also did not change the oil properly and have already grenaded the engine due to bad phasers/VCT solenoids

I've had good luck with Autolite plugs in several applications including Japanese vehicles. I've had bad luck with Champions in some applications except for lawn mowers. It seems Champion and AC are now mostly outsourced to Japanese manufacturers (NGK I assume) so they may be better now. I think I would SKiP on Chinese SKP plugs.

Back