Skipping a meal

We used to believe in 3 squares a day, but recently read about the value of intermittent fasting. My wife and I tried it for a year: brunch at 11:00 dinner at 6:00, then nothing after 7:00. So 8 hours during which eating is permitted, 16 hours without. We both lost weight, but the benefit eventually wore off and we put some weight back on.

So to regain the benefit, we're back to 3 squares a day for now, but still no eating after 7:00. After an open eating break, we'll go back to intermittent fasting.

Anyone with diabetes should consult a physician before even considering this (as a minimum intermittent fasting would take a lot of reorganization of medications and diet). And anyone else who considers doing it should read up on it and consider consulting a physician as well.

We used to believe in 3 squares a day, but recently read about the value of intermittent fasting. My wife and I tried it for a year: brunch at 11:00 dinner at 6:00, then nothing after 7:00. So 8 hours during which eating is permitted, 16 hours without. We both lost weight, but the benefit eventually wore off and we put some weight back on.

So to regain the benefit, we're back to 3 squares a day for now, but still no eating after 7:00. After an open eating break, we'll go back to intermittent fasting.

Anyone with diabetes should consult a physician before even considering this (as a minimum intermittent fasting would take a lot of reorganization of medications and diet). And anyone else who considers doing it should read up on it and consider consulting a physician as well.
Whatever way it's done you should know what calories you need in a given day either your in surplus deficit or maintaining

I used to believe weight gain was a simple "calories in, calories out" math problem. While that is still obviously true, it's not that simple.

The first complication is that the rate of calorie burn isn't constant. The first time you diet you'll lose weight effortlessly - in fact you (like me) might worry about what will happen when you stop dieting. But that was your last easy weight loss. You've now taught your body about the existence of famine - and survival during time of famine was important to the long term survival of the human species. From now on whenever you try to diet, your body says "famine on" and through processes I don't understand (and maybe no-one else does either) somehow conserves energy and your weight loss slows dramatically or stops, even in the face of reduced calories. You can still lose weight by simply reducing calories but it takes a heck of an effort. And you'll probably put all that weight back on and a bit extra in the next few years, as preparation for the next famine.

And then there's the issue of muscle mass and calorie burn. More muscle is (somewhat) more efficient at calorie burn. But exercise alone probably won't result in weight loss. In my case, activity (yard work and such) probably diverts me from snacking during the period when I allow myself to eat, so I lose weight during yard work season.

And finally there's the matter of the intestinal biome, that mass of bacteria in your gut. Although I know it sounds unlikely, it seems to play some role in influencing how much and what you will eat.

Weight loss (without bariatric surgery) requires a long term commitment. My own theory is "if you don't like how much you weigh you need to change how you live".

Six days a week I drink a low carb shake for breakfast with black coffee. Julianne salad for lunch, and grilled meat with vegetables for dinner.

I'm down about 20 pounds in 3-4 months of this routine.

Once a week I go out to a diner for breakfast.

Nobody becomes a Fat a$$ overnight it is a lifelong goal and lifestyle change you need to have. People can not say I'm going on a diet then what you go back to what you were doing no it's a lifestyle change forever and you and will have results. So many people just like to make excuses why they can't.

Nobody becomes a Fat a$$ overnight it is a lifelong goal and lifestyle change you need to have. People can not say I'm going on a diet then what you go back to what you were doing no it's a lifestyle change forever and you and will have results. So many people just like to make excuses why they can't.
Settle down #18 🤣🤣🤣

Exactly. Like I heard someone say, "Weight loss and/or healthy choices are a journey not a destination"

It depends. I never skip breakfast when I'm staying at home because after my daily 5-mile morning run I have to feed my body. I usually work 4 days a week and besides breakfast at home I shoot for lunch and dinner elsewhere. However, I do eat only when I'm hungry, I do not eat out of habit or because it's "time to eat." If I don't have time for a sit-down meal, I will grab an apple or a banana to hold me over. When I'm working a lot of hours or OT, which happens fairly often, I will eat as sensible as the circumstances allow. After that sort of grind I usually take off work for a few days and get back on track with exercise and proper food. I firmly believe we should eat only when we are hungry. I mean, we all can feel it when our body requires food. If someone sticks by that rule while not overeating, I don't think fasting days are required.

skipping a meal always works for me; but it needs to be a trend not a day thing; I normally create the habit, after 3 days in row

I'm convinced that many people eat at traditional meal times only out of habit. A family would come together for meals at least twice a day. So at least breakfast and dinner become a routine. And at work and school many have a fixed lunch break. People pretty get used to eating at certain times. That can be socially rewarding but it's questionable in terms of ideal eating habits. I have been on a rather flexible meal schedule for a long time.

fasting is a very powerful health tool, besides controlling belly fat the worse it allows you body to hopefully remove fat from your liver aks fatty liver as well as your pancreas aka fatty pancreas. whats most important is controlling insulin so anything besides pure fat like butter will cause an insulin response which is actually the major health-weight controller. again searching on fasting you can read almost forever. i consider myself pretty healthy but skipping breakfast with only black coffee i tbs of butter + mct oil aka medium chain triglyceride satisfies me until lunch without raising blood sugar!! its called bullet proof coffee. my slightly elevated BP dropped + other # improved but my Doc was harping on my higher LDL which results from lo carb eating + is beneficial for many reasons including male hormones made from it!! nothing between my 2 meals but about 4 oz of V-8 that helps dissolve my between meal supplements, 72 YO + feeling great on NO meds!!!

Back