Ski Wax

Every other year or so, some friends of mine go on a ski trip. I remember trying to dig up tribology regarding ski wax three years ago, before I was active on this site. I had a hard time finding much at the time. I was curious about anything y'all may know regarding this niche area. I haven't found a lot of threads from BITOG regarding skiing wax, and I wish there was more technical info regarding it (I suppose with it being hard wax, it doesn't belong on an oil website, haha)

Last season I went to reading stuff that Hertel has on their website, and they make mention of using "Fischer Tropsch Paraflint," which to the best of my understanding is a microcrystalline wax with a hardener additive to raise the melting point of the wax. I had no idea that crystalline wax had a market, or that there were hardeners that we use to encourage crystal formation.

(this is kind of open-ended; what technical info have you run in to or accumulated regarding ski wax?)

Hertel went out of business because the owner retired.

Ski wax is also a complicated blend of waxes. Harder waxes used to drop the range temperature of the wax for colder conditions.

Then you also have additives like Molybdenum and Graphite, that reduces the surface friction when you encounter dirty or old snow....

Fluorocarbons were once a thing, until recently banned for racing due to effects of water pollution that gets into our water tables. So like ZDDP, ski wax manufacturers are experimenting and discovering ways around Fluorocarbon. (Good thing I stocked up on my all-temperature Fluorocarbon wax).

Back