SJ mobil1 still good to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My stepsister moved into her new house and found about 5 sealed bottles of mobil1 5w30 SJ "trisynthetic" forumula in the basement.

Also there are another two or three that were opened and half quarts of oil are left in them.

She gave the whole deal to me, I discarded the ones that had been opened.

I've had this old mobil1 on my oil shelf for the past few months and i've been eyeballing it, wondering if I should use it.

I store my oil in a climate controlled area, her basement is not finished, and it goes down to like the 40's down there. Very cold, but never freezing.

So I just changed the oil in my truck with some mobil5000, and I used about a 1/2 a quart of the old mobil1 to top off.

Should I keep this stuff and use it up, or just pitch it?

Go ahead and use it.
smile.gif

A little
offtopic.gif
but 2 days ago, I poured in 5 qt's of API SH....yes SH
gr_eek2.gif
rated Quaker State (gasp) semi-syn. & a qt. of Marvel Mystery oil
shocked.gif
into my '97 Expedition.

Does that make you feel better?
grin.gif

quote:

JustinH:
My stepsister moved into her new house and found about 5 sealed bottles of mobil1 5w30 SJ "trisynthetic" forumula in the basement. ....

Should I keep this stuff and use it up, or just pitch it?

It's quite usable. The levels of zinc and phosphorous are higher than the current product and the additives and blendstocks are different, but it was a very good product when it was made and should perform fine.

If you're concerned, use 1 quart at a time with the balance fresh current Mobil 1. They're completely compatible.

Nothing at all wrong with it. I just put that last of my SJ Mobil-1 in our minivan.

A different brew than current Mobil-1, but an excellent oil just the same.

John

Mickey,

By any chance does your retirement check say "ExxonMobil" across the top?
wink.gif

I haven't run across too many "shade tree tribologists" who know what a dumbell blend of basestocks is ....

I believe you may be a ringer.
smile.gif

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back